How hard is it. Pan drop and filter change

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
s/c'd cav

Re: How hard is it. Pan drop and filter change

Post by s/c'd cav »

Mooseman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:19 pm What about with headers? Maybe the area is more open with those? I might give it a shot next spring when she's out of hibernation.

I also hate paying too much for anything that has a cheaper alternative that works the same or better.
exhaust doesnt matter to much , alot of the way the pipe is bent and the room between the firewall , motor , and trans , plus the location of where the tube goes into the trans

having the pass head off does make it easier from what ive heard , ive only fought with everything in its place , or having the motor and/or trans out which makes it a walk in the park
Car54

Post by Car54 »

Ok, thank you all for the info, parts supplies, and vendors.

I thought I was going nuts as I couldnt find the damn trans tube!

Forgot that they stopped putting a $1.00 part in most of the cars.
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

Changed the transmission filter today. G.M. part no. 24252158 (stock pan). The refill was 7.5 quarts.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I did the JRE dipstick install when I did my headers. You will swear the thing won't fit. The dipstick, trans, wiring harness, and firewall all seem to want to occupy the same space. I had to drop the trans crossmember down to gain enough room. Even then it was very tight. You can't get enough height to install the dipstick without hitting the trans tunnel. I dropped it in from the top and installed it under the car. The dipstick is hitting my #8 spark plug wire. Eventually I am gong to heat it up and bend it more to clear.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Car54

Post by Car54 »

I’m reviving this post,

How the He LL. Does one know when the trans is full???

This whole thing went on the back burner for a while, now I have a day to work in the car, and want to get this done.
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

You have to put fluid in it and then warm the trans up in park and let it spill out at the right temp.
It's a mess, and I did it in the rain in the driveway and it sucked
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Yep. Initially fill it until it spills out, start the engine, let it idle until warm, then fill again until it spills out again. There is a specific fluid temp range it's supposed to be and I think it says it on the pan sticker.

Fill, run, fill, done.

And yes, it's a PITA.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Mooseman wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:15 am There is a specific fluid temp range it's supposed to be and I think it says it on the pan sticker.

Fill, run, fill, done.

And yes, it's a PITA.
Factory Service Manual say 86-112F, or 30-50C for you Metric System folks.
Manual also says 6.7 quarts for a drain and refill, or 6.3 liters.

Joe