Exhaust options not full

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Ctuck21

Exhaust options not full

Post by Ctuck21 »

All I’m seeing for exhaust is either the Solo axle back or full systems. I wanted to do the axle back but noticed how bad the rust is on the flanges for both pieces. Is my only option to get full system? Or find stock exhaust and just take the piping portion? Trying to stay away from anything loud.
Attachments
16B9576D-EAC7-4DF0-AA57-D84C51350D9D.jpeg
16B9576D-EAC7-4DF0-AA57-D84C51350D9D.jpeg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 1143 times
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Exhaust options not full

Post by elc32955 »

If you can find one, might consider the SLP G8 Powerflo Axleback system. That's what I used to run on my 2011, it looked nice especially with the trapezoid tips, and sounded good at WOT. If you do get it, you'll have to lengthen it like 4 inches or so in order to clear the fender with the tips. G8 is short wheelbase, Caprice is long. Only place you can find them now is used, SLP washed their hands of most of the G8 business years back.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

If it was me I would heat the bolts up on the backside until they are cherry red then try to remove them. Clean up the flange and install the axle back kit. If the bolts break it is pretty easy to drop the center section, grind the bolts flat, then drill them out and just use a nut and bolt. Probably add a half-hour to hour to the job. Front bolts may fight you a little too. Thats what I did before I made my own exhaust.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

per bstoner, torch it. Acetylene is your friend. I've seen much worse come apart like butter after the cherry red routine. Hitting both ends might be helpful. You need the shoulder of the bolt to "let go" of the flange it's resting on. Then you need the threads to let go of the flange they're screwed into. Don't go any further than cherry red (don't make it drip). Using a small piece of sheet metal as a "heat shield" behind your work is nice so you won't need your fire extinguisher :shock: . You may notice that the socket that's supposed to fit doesn't after heat. Use a smaller one or vice grips.
In my experience, mapp gas and/or propane are useless for rusty bolts.

Here's Harbor Freight's solution to your problem: https://www.harborfreight.com/portable- ... 65818.html

BTW Axle backs sound awesome.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Ctuck21

Post by Ctuck21 »

Bolts coming out I’m not worried about. It’s the condition of the flange on the mid-pipe. Looks like a good piece of rust is flaking off it.

Once bolts and mufflers removed..hitting the flange with a wire brush and cleaning it up my best option for a clean fit and seal?
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Flange looks fine to me. Just take a wire wheel, dremel, wire brush, etc. to get the rust off and make the sealing surface flat. Don't forget to pick up a new gasket. https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... =16&t=2442
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....