My experience with P069E and P023F

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
mwc

My experience with P069E and P023F

Post by mwc »

A few days ago, my 2014 Caprice threw a CEL. I’ve had this car long enough to keep a code reader in the door panel, car was running fine but pulled a P069E code (Fuel Pump Control Module Requested MIL Illumination). Cleared it, drove home, then to girlfriend’s house 50 or so miles away. Drove home next morning, stopped for gas before home. Key on, went to reset trip/mpg and noticed CEL. Pulled same code, P069E. Cleared it, started it, it stumbled for a couple seconds and died, CEL back on. Same code. Cleared it, started up and drove normal 2 or so miles home. An hour or so I got back in it to go to the store, and it wouldn’t start, just cranked, same code. Checked every relevant fuse, replaced the Run relay on the board in the trunk, checked every ground, still couldn’t get fuel pump to prime, no fuel pressure at the rail.

Plugged in HPTuners and pulled a P023F (Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit / Open). Interesting my Innova 5110 wouldn’t pull that.

I pulled the battery and tray, checked Fuel Pump Control Module for burned pins/connector, but they looked good.

At this point I felt I really needed to check the fuel pump and it’s connector, but really didn’t want to drop the whole rear cradle, and the full tank, to get to it. I saw how common it is to cut an access hole under the rear seat on the G8 GT’s, and saw one post on here with a couple pictures. A styrofoam plate as a stencil, and an hour with a dremel and a bunch of diamond wheels, I got a nice access hole and found both the pump and it’s connector to be burned.

Ordered a replacement connector, part number 13587174, a new pump/level sensor assembly, part number MU2101, and fuel pump gasket. It’ll all be here Tuesday, we’ll see how things go after it’s all replaced
Black 2014 PPV 6.0 - BTR LS3 Stage 3 cam, Circle D converter, 3.45 swap, Solo 3” catback, Camaro 18s

Sonoma County, California
rcg530

Re: My experience with P069E and P023F

Post by rcg530 »

Just yesterday, my 2014 Caprice had a fuel pump failure with DTCs P069E and P023F. The engine would not start due to no fuel pressure. It was towed back to my house. I confirmed the lack of fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge.

I started to search the various posts about those DTCs. I found the fuel pump control module (under the darn main battery mount plate assembly) and checked it for any signs of corrosion or burning and found none.

I've ordered the wiring harness pigtail 13587174 for the fuel pump, a new fuel pump assembly with level sensor MU2101 and a fuel pump control module 22874300 (22874299 was present in the car, but that doesn't seem to be available any longer and 22874300 is listed by ACDelco as the "correct" one for that year Caprice). I only purchased the FPCM to be fully prepared.

I'll be cutting a hole in the floor as well to gain access to the fuel pump once I get the dremel tool I ordered last night.

How are you going to cover the hole up after fixing the problem? In my thread on my car's failure, I ask about the previous reference to G8 owners using a cover to cover up that hole, but the one that Steve had a picture of doesn't seem to be offered by the g8only site. They offer a flat plate instead of one in the other picture with a bulged section.

I expect to find either the wiring harness connection to have a burnt connector (like yours) and/or the fuel pump itself to have failed.

May we both get our Caprices back on the road soon!
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
mwc

Post by mwc »

I plan on putting some rubber weatherstrip around the edge of the hole and piece I cut out, bolt a couple pieces of flat bar across the lid, then bolt that to the floor. Not perfect but it’ll work

Good luck with your repair, let me know if you have any questions on cutting the hole
Black 2014 PPV 6.0 - BTR LS3 Stage 3 cam, Circle D converter, 3.45 swap, Solo 3” catback, Camaro 18s

SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3347&sid=3aba75aec ... 4213f932f6

Chances are that the pump is still good. The harness need only be replaced.
2016 Caprice
mwc

Post by mwc »

SSpeedracer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:10 pm viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3347&sid=3aba75aec ... 4213f932f6

Chances are that the pump is still good. The harness need only be replaced.
The connector on the pump was pretty burned, could maybe clean it up with some small files or something but the plastic itself was pretty deformed, and I’d rather not reuse questionable parts especially parts that’ll leave me stranded if/when they fail.

I replaced the pump, gasket, and connector today. Pretty easy job with the hole cut out. Car is running great, no DTCs for now.

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Think that is the first time I have seen #2 terminal burnt, Usually it's #1

May also want to check the connector at the Fuel Pump Control Module under the main battery for a melted connector there as well.

Wiring diagram
https://imgur.com/CdwDi35
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mwc

Post by mwc »

Thanks, I checked that connector before I found the fuel pump connector issue

Caliboi_3

Post by Caliboi_3 »

My 14’ Caprice produced code P023F.

Replaced fuel pump at the dealer ($2600) and it is still isn’t running. There is a code, but dealer hasn’t pulled it yet. I am curious to see what it could be. Anyway, maybe the pig tale OR the connector on the bottom of the battery. I’ll check later today. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Edell Nutall