Life after motor work?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Ctuck21

Life after motor work?

Post by Ctuck21 »

Looking at a 2013 currently that was fully disassembled and cleaned during the cam&converter swap with all new gaskets. Has a stage 3 cam with around 120k miles and I’m debating on picking it up for a daily (50miles a day, 15 miles highway, rest back roads). I haven’t ever had a vehicle with a larger cam, larger injectors, converter so wondering what routine maintenance is going to be like? I do my own oil changes and such but wondering if a stage 3 cam will require more frequent intervals for maintenance..especially on internals? I just know if I get a v6 I’m going to wish I got a v8. I’ve got to get a bigger car to commute with as the kids are out growing the little Elantra Gt I have.

Also, with the amount of miles and even if it was gone through..what would I need to be concerned about as far as components to be aware of wearing at this point in the vehicles life? Suspension, steering components? I’m still driving my 2006 Duramax that I’ve had for 17years so kind of a noob when it comes to understanding if cars with motor work are worth it or not.

Thanks in advance
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon
JoeR

Re: Life after motor work?

Post by JoeR »

If the engine work was done correctly and it has a good tune in it, then it will need no more maintenance than a regular engine.
The suspension is a different story. These cars go through front end parts like a BMW. It'll be at a higher interval than your Silverado. It's not prohibitive though, and if you are a sporty driver you'll appreciate having 4 wheel independent suspension, even if it's in a 4200 pound car.
Joe
Sanford

Re: Life after motor work?

Post by Sanford »

My take on a daily driver is to keep as stock as possible. If it is down for a cam replacement, I would use the OEM LS3 cam. When you start adding lift and extra spring pressures, there is a lot more loads on valve train components that might not help give it a long life. My take on modern cars as the engines should last at least 250,000 with decent maintenance. Don’t know if that is possible with high lift cams and high stall converters. Dad always said don’t eff with your daily transportation and that advice has worked good for the last 50 years of driving.