Daily Driven Cam Choice

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
GammaFlat

Re: Daily Driven Cam Choice

Post by GammaFlat »

One little factoid to keep in mind. A narrower (lower) LSA 110 as opposed to 120 (LSA) will be more likely to cause valve piston clearance issues as you increase lift and duration..... Kind of a nod toward LS7 or LS9 cams which have 120 and 122 LSA respectively... that is if you're willing to give up some rumpity (personally, I like street manners) and low end torque.

So... Higher Lift, Longer Duration and Narrower LSA all conspire together to "touch" your pistons!

Okay, my bad... more factoids
Here are some other LSA notes I've stolen from a youtube video (cedit Jafromobile)
NARROWER LSA
  • move torque lower in power band :D
  • increase maximum torque output :D
  • increase cylinder pressure :D
  • increase cranking pressure
  • increase effective compression :D
  • increase combustion chamber scavenging effect :D
  • shorten your power band :cry:
  • reduce idle vacuum :cry:
  • reduce idle stability :cry:
  • increase likelihood of knock :cry:
  • increase overlap :|
  • decrease piston valve clearance :cry:
WIDER LSA
  • move torque higher in the power band :|
  • decrease max torque output :(
  • lengthen power band :D
  • decrease cylinder pressure :(
  • decrease likelihood of knock :D
  • decrease cranking pressure :(
  • decrease effective compression :(
  • increase idle vacuum :D
  • increase idle stability :D
  • decrease overlap :|
  • decrease combustion chamber scavenging effect :(
  • increase piston to valve clearance :D
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
JTRUCKJMC

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

Funny ... saw this after I order my cam this morning. This cam is 2 baby steps up from stock. Wanted a daily driver cam and not kill driveability or mileage. This does not need a stall conv and can be tuned to tweek it in. I have solo free flow cats, stock mid system and solo axle back exhaust. I will be switching form K&N cold air to VCM OTR.
I am doing a complete DOD/AFM removal. I may have the heads CNC'd, but at min a good valve job and new springs that come with kit.
Should prove to be a winner, spent alot of time specing it out.
Here are some specs and P/N's, its a Comp cam.
Cam kit K54-424-11
XFI RPM Hi-lift 212/218
Advertised Int Dur 265
Advertised EXH Dur 271
RPM Range 1400-6700
INT Dur @.050" lift 212
EXH Dur " " " 218
Int Valve Lift .558"
EXH " " .563"
LOA 115+4
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

JTRUCKJMC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:21 pm Funny ... saw this after I order my cam this morning. This cam is 2 baby steps up from stock. Wanted a daily driver cam and not kill driveability or mileage. This does not need a stall conv and can be tuned to tweek it in. I have solo free flow cats, stock mid system and solo axle back exhaust. I will be switching form K&N cold air to VCM OTR.
I am doing a complete DOD/AFM removal. I may have the heads CNC'd, but at min a good valve job and new springs that come with kit.
Should prove to be a winner, spent alot of time specing it out.
Here are some specs and P/N's, its a Comp cam.
Cam kit K54-424-11
XFI RPM Hi-lift 212/218
Advertised Int Dur 265
Advertised EXH Dur 271
RPM Range 1400-6700
INT Dur @.050" lift 212
EXH Dur " " " 218
Int Valve Lift .558"
EXH " " .563"
LOA 115+4
Sounds like a solid choice! Definitely going to add this to my short list.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

I picked up a used LS3 cam and springs that had 35k miles for $100. Very happy with the result because this is my daily driver. DOD delete and rocker trunions. I didn't want to spend too much time tuning, or pay a tuner, so I uploaded a stock SS tune and smoothed it out. Good enough. LIke an LS3 minus 0.2 Liters and hollow valve stems.
I didn't want to over stress the engine or chase the next weak link with money. Not a deal breaker, but my Caprice is set up to tow a trailer and I like having that option as a backup to my primary tow vehicle.

I'm considering a LS9 cam swamp into my supercharged F-body. But the Caprice will never be forced induction so no reason.
2016 Caprice
JTRUCKJMC

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

Ohh I did order the trunnion upgrade as well. I looked at ls3 and ls9 cams but they were not quite right for me although a good choice.
Its all about what you need and how you are going to use it, like if you you plan on trailering.
Just have have to stop, think and plan out whats best, then pull the trigger. Alot of people over cam and are unhappy and I hate doing things twice.....
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

JTRUCKJMC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:50 am Ohh I did order the trunnion upgrade as well. I looked at ls3 and ls9 cams but they were not quite right for me although a good choice.
Its all about what you need and how you are going to use it, like if you you plan on trailering.
Just have have to stop, think and plan out whats best, then pull the trigger. Alot of people over cam and are unhappy and I hate doing things twice.....
That's the hard part right?! I don't want a wild cam but I want to know where that money went! I am really really considering just doing a LSA blower and a cam at the same time. I'll just have to be happy with a full exhaust, an intake, and a tune for the time being. Hey that might be all I want for a while. I have a 240sx that I am stripping down and prepping for a LS swap. That will get a big chop daddy nasty cam for sure. Might be readjusting my plans for the caprice to be more mild.
Chevy-Art

Post by Chevy-Art »

I just found out about this cam. I don't know if it just came out. BTR GEN III & IV LS TRUCK NORRIS CAM Specs: 212/22X, .552/.552, 107 LSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztnqFu6D-dg
If I had seen this one when I was getting ready to do my DOD delete it is the one I would have gone with. It is also good on a stock converter. Though, I may still get it later on. I went with the stock LS3 cam.
2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV Hugo Blue
CapriceX2

Post by CapriceX2 »

I went with the TSP 220R from Texas Speed. 220/220, .600/.600, 112 LSA.
Like several of the others here, I did quite a bit of looking before I made a purchase. I wanted to make a big enough change from the factory cam to make a very noticeable difference, but I didn't want to make the car a pain for daily driving. I read several posts from guys who had gone with the LS3 cam just to wish they had gone bigger, so I wanted to at least go a little bigger than the LS3.
It has taken me a while to get the tune right since I'm learning as I go, but I have been able to get a pretty smooth idle and nearly stock drivability. I would not expect to stab this cam in and drive it, but with a good tuner or some time invested in your own tuning the TSP 220R may be an option.
CapriceX2
2011 Caprice 9C3 - TSP 220R W/ DOD delete, 10.8:1 Compression, Custom Stainless Exhaust
1995 Caprice Classic Wagon
1996 K2500 6.5L diesel
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

I've noticed a lot of G8 folks like the little lunati cam. That cam is 219/223 .625/.625 on a 112 LSA.

That seems close to the GM hot cam, which is: 219/228 .525/.525 on a 112 LSA.

Summit has two versions, a low lift and high lift.
218/227 112+2, .600/.600
218/227 112+2, .522/.524