LS3 OEM camshaft works with DOD!!

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Jeff 9c3

Re: LS3 OEM camshaft works with DOD!!

Post by Jeff 9c3 »

Hi there ,
I see the date on the update to the ls3 cam is 2017. Curious if you still have this set up?
Also if it gave you any issues later on after the 2000 mile mark?
I'm looking to upgrade my 2011 but I have been toying around the idea of a complete rebuild to a 408 cid. With some ls3 heads.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
2012 caprice ppv 9c3 . 135k & climbing daily.
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

You have ls3 heads already
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Today's update, car is still running same LS3 OEM camshaft with a tune that allows it to switch over to DOD 4 cyl operation. Just turned over 32000 miles so I now have over 10k on that setup, zero problems, only thing strange is when I have the exhaust cut out open completely and it drops down into that 4 clyd mode on a slow down. Still gets over 20mpg highway and runs great on 93 octane
Jeff 9c3

Post by Jeff 9c3 »

Nice
No I don't have ls3 heads but I'm currently searching. Now that my ppv is all road legal in ny.
So 4 cyl activation on decel with open cut outs .
Back psi. In the exhaust isn't there anymore.
You also may be experiencing a vacuum change as well & the ecm is seeing this & thinks you are in a different part of the fuel map that hasn't been adjusted yet for this situation. Intake air flow may be affected. unsure as the butterfly would be from open 2 / 5 % stopped at idle.
I haven't tuned anything yet. I'm going what I have seen on line videos. But driving my own ppv caprice it seems work this way. even speed plays a factor.
Off the throttle at speed the vacumm increases, fuel psi. Drops, air flow is between 5 to 8 % crusing / coasting deceleration in
speed then 4 cyl mode.
Just my opinion here I'm not here to cause any issues. Once I get the car back from the shop and get a day or 2 off I'll have to detial my ppv and post a pic or two. Thank you for your response.
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Jeff 9c3 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 pm Nice
No I don't have ls3 heads but I'm currently searching. Now that my ppv is all road legal in ny.
So 4 cyl activation on decel with open cut outs .
Back psi. In the exhaust isn't there anymore.
You also may be experiencing a vacuum change as well & the ecm is seeing this & thinks you are in a different part of the fuel map that hasn't been adjusted yet for this situation. Intake air flow may be affected. unsure as the butterfly would be from open 2 / 5 % stopped at idle.
I haven't tuned anything yet. I'm going what I have seen on line videos. But driving my own ppv caprice it seems work this way. even speed plays a factor.
Off the throttle at speed the vacumm increases, fuel psi. Drops, air flow is between 5 to 8 % crusing / coasting deceleration in
speed then 4 cyl mode.
Just my opinion here I'm not here to cause any issues. Once I get the car back from the shop and get a day or 2 off I'll have to detial my ppv and post a pic or two. Thank you for your response.
823 vs 821 are virtually identical minus the hollow valves on the 821 ls3 heads. It just means you won’t have a broken valve on your current heads vs the hollow ones that seem to break off way more than you’d think......
Jeff 9c3

Post by Jeff 9c3 »

"823 vs 821 are virtually identical minus the hollow valves on the 821 ls3 heads. It just means you won’t have a broken valve on your current heads vs the hollow ones that seem to break off way more than you’d think......"

Ok i didn't think of the broken valve happening . Hmmm. 823s are what I have on my 6.0.
leadfoot

Post by leadfoot »

xcidmigs wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:40 pm Today's update, car is still running same LS3 OEM camshaft with a tune that allows it to switch over to DOD 4 cyl operation. Just turned over 32000 miles so I now have over 10k on that setup, zero problems, only thing strange is when I have the exhaust cut out open completely and it drops down into that 4 clyd mode on a slow down. Still gets over 20mpg highway and runs great on 93 octane
Was there any increase in power with the LS3 cam?

What did the tuner get out of it?
2012 Black PPV beater
2011 Hugo pro-charged sleeper
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

[/quote]

Was there any increase in power with the LS3 cam?

What did the tuner get out of it?
[/quote]

As I said when I did the install, I have done no dyno tuning to show hard #s all my tuning is done remotely via my logging actual road driving and then having some changes made to both the tunes and then more logging until everything looks good to the tuner and feels right to me driving. That said it was immediately apparent that the LS3 cam made a good bit more power especially at the higher end of the RPM range, we all know that changing cams can lead to huge numbers up top with a loss of low end that no one wants to talk about and is often made up for by use of higher rear gear/ higher stall TC. At the time I had no plans for either and have to do mostly stop and go city type driving so that was a big concern to me. All of the G8 installs I read on LS3 cams were positive and several showed hard dyno numbers where they were well over 400hp which was what I was going for. GM rates the LS3 at 420? thats with their more conservative tuning and stock exhausts/intake. My setup I upgraded both and I can't believe the 0.2L we give up to that block is doing a lot of restriction. The heads/IM on L76 are basically LS3 OEM also so I have to conclude this is a good real world driving setup. I have now switched out to the 3:27 rear and the car is just great to drive and still is getting 20+mpg highway.
Chevy-Art

Post by Chevy-Art »

I am glad I found this thread. I am going to use the LS3 cam but delete the dod. I also was wondering about the condenser but this answered. I am going to try and do it the same way you did.
2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV Hugo Blue
soberservice

Post by soberservice »

I am thinking about doing the swap could you give an update with current mileage I also read that some guy on g8 board is a guru with this running up .550 lift cams with dod valvetrain.