Vehicle calibration identification

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
elc32955
System Manager

Vehicle calibration identification

Post by elc32955 »

I ran across this GM TSB tonight while trying to do some TSB research to update the site and thought this might be of interest. This directly refers to people putting aftermarket tunes into cars and what GM does in the event of discovery. It was more about people trying to make warranty claims on failed components with after-market tunes on-board, however we've also had some discussions about things like CARB board emissions and what will make you fail testing, so I thought I'd just put it up for general perusal. It's sourced directly from the NHTSA so at this point it's a public record. Here's the linky;

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 6-9999.pdf

Some of the remedies are a bit draconian like "blocking the remainder of the powertrain & driveline warranty coverage"..... The only cars that might have any powertrain coverage left MAY be the 2017 models and I don't know of any in private hands yet, I've seen 16's showing up in private hands but not the 17's so far except for one or two oddballs. Also there are a BUNCH of revisions to this TSB, this particular revision is dated June 2019 and covers all Caprice PPV's, even though they are not specifically called out by name (they were in earlier revisions of this TSB).

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.