What is the stock timing like?

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
leonpiper69

What is the stock timing like?

Post by leonpiper69 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:10 pm

2011 PPV L77

A thought occurred to me...there is nothing on the dash saying "premium fuel only" etc etc and these cars have 10.4:1 compression.....

I always put super in it thinking I need to because of the compression.....but if it isn't required then is the timing really weak from the factory meaning if we bump the timing up a bunch even on a stock motor we can make a bunch more power and just have to always put super in it?

ProjectGoFast

Re: What is the stock timing like?

Post by ProjectGoFast » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:35 am

The dynamic compression is probably pretty low allowing for low octane fuel also the stock cam timing in typical GM fashion is pretty lazy. Most LS engines really wake up with a cam swap and a tune.

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:55 pm

stock timing is all over the tables , i run nothing but 87 in mine

leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm

I had a feel it's all over the place Since it's a dog off the line then pulls real hard. I figure it's a mix of the drive by wire and the timing. But though I have HP tuners and can pull the tune to look at it, I wouldn't honestly know by looking at it if it was a lazy tune or not.

I could try to compare it to the 550hp tune in my chevelle (I didn't do the tune) but that could be like apples and oranges.

Why would the dynamic compression be low? Would it be something like cam overlap causing cyl pressure to bleed off etc?