Switching blue lights to red

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
stephenhunt

Switching blue lights to red

Post by stephenhunt »

So when I purchased my 2011 Caprice, it still had all the emergency equipment on it. Don't worry, legality was never an issue as I have already talked to many different departments in Texas about it. They all have said it's fine as long as I don't run equipment on the side of the road or driving down the road. I haven't removed them because it's really cool to be able to run lights and sirens at car shows. The kids always love it. I'm currently deployed, but when I return stateside, I'll be joining my local volunteer fire department, and I'd like to be able to switch the blue and red lights on my car now to red only. Does anyone have ideas on the cheapest way to go about this? The lights are all Whelen by the way.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Switching blue lights to red

Post by elc32955 »

Depends on what kind of lights/light bar was installed on the car. Some lights are just a lens swap for each light or module (Whelen Edge 9000 light bar for example), others may be able to be programmed, others you might have to change the entire light assembly - especially if it's a tightly sealed unit. You'll need to get the specifics on the lights, then do some research with Whelen or maybe with the folks on elightbar.org. Double check your Texas laws, by leaving any vehicle like ours lit you're dancing with the devil.

Welcome to the system!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Check the model of your lights, especially Wehlans. Some are multi-color. You may already have red lights. Otherwise, especially if they are LEDS, which many are these days, it's a light module swap.

Having the lights on the car is okay, unless you find a LEO with a chip on his/her shoulder. Just don't light them on public streets. Car shows and the like are okay. Red lights will be better, though, as blue-only are reserved for law enforcement.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
stephenhunt

Post by stephenhunt »

Cool, I'll have to check into whether or not mine can be reprogrammed when I'm back stateside. Hopefully that's all it requires because those flasher modules are expensive and my wife is spending all my money while I'm away lol.
StevenJay

Post by StevenJay »

Older strobe lightheads like the Whelen edge light bar mentioned are just clear strobe bulb with a lens or filter to set them to be red or blue. If they are LEDS you won't need a flasher because they are built-in to each lighthead. The LED lighthead(if they are will most likely have to be replaced. Colors are set at the factory by the color diode is soldered to the circuit board. There isn't a cheap way to go about replacing light heads unfortunately. They are extremely bright so you don't need too many to be seen. They also draw much less current than strobes and last a lot longer so they are worth the money.
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018