Reactivating interior rear door locks & window switches

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
elc32955
System Manager

Reactivating interior rear door locks & window switches

Post by elc32955 »

Had a few part numbers so I thought I'd just make a quicky post about un-securing the rear doors post-police service, just did this on my 2015. What was done by the upfitters (not sure if it was Kerr or other parties) to make the back seat area secure was as follows:

1) Door handle cable was disconnected from the handle inside the door and left hanging.
2) Lock rods were removed from both left and right hand sides. These are the rods that give you the little pop-up buttons on the top of the door panels.
3) Window switches were taken apart. The top end with the control was left in the door with the control ends flopping, bottom end was hanging on the end of the electrical plug with the membrane taped to the switch body.

To reverse the process, you need to reinstall the two door lock rods. Left side is PN #92254115, right side is PN #92254117. These are cheap parts, less then $4 each from several on-line sources. One of mine was actually still in the door, just inside the panel connected rotated at a 45-degree angle so it wouldn't pop up through the door panel hole. The switches go back together in about 2 minutes, just remove the tape holding the membrane to the switch body, and press the entire assembly back together until it click-fits. You can pull the switch top out of the door panel to make it easier to refit if you want. If you don't have switches or break one, the PN is #92256973. These are used in the 2013-2018 Cadillac ATS, the SS, and the Caprice. $33 or so list, used is running $15 each or so right now. The door cable is a simple reconnect which takes about 30 seconds once the door panel is off. BAM, working rear doors & windows again from the back seat! There's even a YouTube video or two up on how to do the process if you are a video learner.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
rcg530

Re: Reactivating interior rear door locks & window switches

Post by rcg530 »

Thanks for putting that info together in one post.

I also found the interior door handles inoperative (cables disconnected) and the rear door lock rods missing in my 2014.

The one difference from your situation is that my window switches were intact, just not enabled in the body control module. The RPO codes on the SPID label on the bottom of the trunk lid listed "6N5".

6N5 - Rear windows door inoperative

That RPO code turns off rear door window switches (2014-2017 MY only) in the body control module.

I had to update my car's BCM removing RPO code 6N5 to get the rear door window switches to work.

Here are my videos on those topics:

Door Lock Rod Video:

https://youtu.be/5HFnUXqzBko

Reconnect Interior Door Handles:

https://youtu.be/RhzmuGdjYUY

Update Calibration Files - BCM - 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV

https://youtu.be/1AB_Hu9wT38
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Reactivating interior rear door locks & window switches

Post by elc32955 »

I've seen your channel and watched some of your videos, very good content. I felt very bad for you having to cut the hole in your tub to access your fuel pump when the wiring issue happened. Poor design on GM/Holden's part, they should have put an access hatch to get to the fuel pump into the car. Glad to see you're part of our community here.

Yep, I got lucky in that the upfitters took the old manual route to secure the rear. I got the impression on my car that the person specifying options at ordering time took the least expensive route possible. For example, transporting prisoners in a carpeted, cloth seat vehicle. My car spent 106K miles hauling state prisoners between facilities in NC, it would have been a lot simpler if they had just put vinyl and rubber mat flooring in the car. They did in 14, but not 15 for some reason. I had the rear steam-cleaned & shampooed, now it looks pretty good. Replacing the last few trim pieces and you'll never be able to tell it was ever a cage car.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.