Topic Subscription Notifications?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
PandaSmuggler

Topic Subscription Notifications?

Post by PandaSmuggler »

Hello,

Unless I'm blind, I'm not seeing any way to subscribe to threads (including my own posts). Typically this is an easy to find feature in phpBB. I've tried both themes with no luck. Am I just derping? :D

Ref: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2148912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Topic Subscription Notifications?

Post by smwalker »

If i look in "User Control Panel" ---> Manage Subscriptions

Every post I have started or posted in appears as subscribed. So in that sense we get subscribed automatically. However I have not gotten any emails telling me of new posts in any of them for a while. I cannot remember if I turned something off or if it is a bug.

Subscribing to a thread without replying to it? Not sure you can do that???

Just reply to it with a "subscribed" if you have nothing to add to the topic at the moment. I see that on lots of boards.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
PandaSmuggler

Post by PandaSmuggler »

smwalker wrote:If i look in "User Control Panel" ---> Manage Subscriptions

Every post I have started or posted in appears as subscribed. So in that sense we get subscribed automatically. However I have not gotten any emails telling me of new posts in any of them for a while. I cannot remember if I turned something off or if it is a bug.

Subscribing to a thread without replying to it? Not sure you can do that???

Just reply to it with a "subscribed" if you have nothing to add to the topic at the moment. I see that on lots of boards.
Hey Steve!

Case in point, I never got a notification for your reply :P UCP shows no subscribed topics:

Posting Defaults:

When I try to post a new topic there is no "subscribe" option:

Have I lost my mind? :P
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

no, no mind lost, it should be automatic, no need to select anything. I have the same "notify me of replies " checked as well and have not been getting any. And more so just noticed not all topics I reply to seem to get populated in my Watch (or subscribed I guess) list. Example your topic you started and i replied to is not listed in my watch list. But others are???

Buggy

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK.... A few months back (around the end of July) I was forced to shut off board-wide EMAIL due to an issue on the server with another user (outside of this system) that had a hacked Wordpress installation. The problem was that our email IP was blacklisted by Spamhaus and a few other providers due to the fact that this Wordpress installation was spilling ilk all over. And, the admin mailbox was being filled to no end with bounce messages everytime someone wanted a topic subscribed to or any sort of error occurred, their side rejected due to the various spam blocks and gave error, error, error..... you get the idea. I put a message up on this on July 24 in our system updates thread.

The hacking problem was fixed by our hosting provider soon after it was identified, but it's taking some time to clear the spam stamp on the IP from the different outgoing systems such as Yahoo, Gmail, etc.... AOL just plain doesn't like anything we send out it seems and keeps throwing errors back at us. When you shut off outgoing EMAIL on a PHP system, it sits there fat, dumb, and happy. Doesn't send anything to anyone, including me for errors, topic notifications, etc. This is also a reason we're temporarily running a few other services on automatic.

However.... I just cut the EMAIL back on yesterday (after getting the all-clear from our hosting provider) as an experiment. If it works then great. If my system mailbox starts filling up again with errors and bounces, then we will take a step back and re-evaluate. I can't guarantee AOL mail users will get emails due to the large number of errors that system throws at us when we automatically send out. Hopefully it'll work for the rest though.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41]

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

AND..... yes, we are still bouncing for most services as of right now. I'm going to have to make some configuration changes in our board EMAIL next week. Stay tuned....

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
PandaSmuggler

Post by PandaSmuggler »

elc32955 wrote:OK.... A few months back (around the end of July) I was forced to shut off board-wide EMAIL due to an issue on the server with another user (outside of this system) that had a hacked Wordpress installation. The problem was that our email IP was blacklisted by Spamhaus and a few other providers due to the fact that this Wordpress installation was spilling ilk all over. And, the admin mailbox was being filled to no end with bounce messages everytime someone wanted a topic subscribed to or any sort of error occurred, their side rejected due to the various spam blocks and gave error, error, error..... you get the idea. I put a message up on this on July 24 in our system updates thread.

The hacking problem was fixed by our hosting provider soon after it was identified, but it's taking some time to clear the spam stamp on the IP from the different outgoing systems such as Yahoo, Gmail, etc.... AOL just plain doesn't like anything we send out it seems and keeps throwing errors back at us. When you shut off outgoing EMAIL on a PHP system, it sits there fat, dumb, and happy. Doesn't send anything to anyone, including me for errors, topic notifications, etc. This is also a reason we're temporarily running a few other services on automatic.

However.... I just cut the EMAIL back on yesterday (after getting the all-clear from our hosting provider) as an experiment. If it works then great. If my system mailbox starts filling up again with errors and bounces, then we will take a step back and re-evaluate. I can't guarantee AOL mail users will get emails due to the large number of errors that system throws at us when we automatically send out. Hopefully it'll work for the rest though.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41]

Thanks
Eric
Hey Eric! A WordPress site got hacked? GET OUT! I'm a Sysadmin for a hosting company so I know this all too well :-\ I also know that Shared IP space can be the bane of anyone's existence when it comes to being listed on RBLs go.

AOL has been doing this thing that I've noticed recently (past year or so) where they will "block" with a softfail 4xx error as opposed to a hardfail 5xx error. The problem is, MTAs being RFC compliant, will keep on retrying since it's a softfail and further keep AOL thinking it's a spammer sending a "high volume" of email. Don't get me started on Yahoo! I used to work for Email Security companies in the past, but I'll stop ranting now :P

I've been reading the thread you posted in the past but I'm sure I missed that post about the notifications. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all (because I sure as sh*t don't) but if you or your dev need a helping hand, I'm definitely willing to share any knowledge that I have.

Keep up the good fight sir! :)

ps. Just noticed the contact email address on the main page, I never said those things about AOL users, it was a hacker! Please don't ban me!

pps. *cough* *cough* AOL still sucks :P
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK, I just made another configuration change in our EMAIL system, we'll see if THIS works. If not I should know in a day or two....

Paul, I sent you a PM... and no there was nothing explosive in it :)

Thanks
Eric

***EDIT 11/9, 0150 EDT** Well, the problem may be fixed with the configuration change I made. My first test went OK, so we'll see what happens over the next few days. If the fix takes, users will start to see EMAIL from the system again with subscription notifications, etc etc..... I'll be watching the email system to see if errors start to pop up again.

Eric