Stock 1/4 mile performance

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
PPV

Re: Stock 1/4 mile performance

Post by PPV »

9C1fanatic wrote:Those are nice times. Try it with quality 93 octane and see the difference it makes. Where is that dragstrip located?
I really didn't prep for the runs. I decided to go to the track at the last minute. I think if I ran 93 or E85 it would have ran a bit faster. I didn't even remove the kids car seat. I really wanted to see how the car runs. I'm planning a bunch of performance upgrades and just want a baseline.

The track is Lebanon Valley Dragway near Albany NY. It's a great track and is only 20 min from home. I need to get there more often.
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - triple black
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - Red w/ black gut & top
1970 Convertible Mont Carlo - Sold
1968 K10 short wheel base
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
2013 CTS-V Coupe Silver Frost Matte Eddition
2017 SS - PBM - M6 - Roof - Sold
2019 Silverado 1500 - LTZ 6.2
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Why is the car going to run any faster using 93 or E85? right now in the NE we have changed over to the non summer gas blend. Unless his car is detonating on 87 there should be no difference? The factory tune is set up to run crap fleet gas without retuning i can't see any significant change. I'm in the middle of a remote tuning process from Blackbear performance. i have 2 ECM tune files from them that i can switch off either 89 or 91 octane. Using either they were able to see that i had a bad driver's side 02 sensor which was limiting even the stock tune despite not having a CEL on or weird gas MPG. Also my car has 15k miles only so for anyone with higher miles what are the odds you have similar issues that are unknown. I may change my factory plugs out next just to be sure.
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

These engines run really hot which is one of the reasons the DOD lifters fail due to improper oil maintenance.

I cannot let mine sit and idle as the temps will climb to over 250 degrees with the A/C on. Once it hits 244 degrees it shuts the A/C compressor off but it will still climb. I can only assume its the cam causing this because it does have a considerable lope. I plan on removing the factory oil cooler and installing a front mount since the stacked one is so ineffective at reducing high oil temperatures.

Sure the car runs a rock solid 195 at road speeds but it is completely ineffective even with the fans programmed to come on early. The issue I face with the engine cooling could be eradicated with vents in the hood and/or fender ventilation. I am sure that if I added headers now and did not wrap and coat them... the issue would be even greater.

I am considering entering the 2016 One Lap of America with my car and if so... I will be upgrading all the cooling systems with a comprehensive set-up.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

xcidmigs wrote:Why is the car going to run any faster using 93 or E85? right now in the NE we have changed over to the non summer gas blend. Unless his car is detonating on 87 there should be no difference? The factory tune is set up to run crap fleet gas without retuning i can't see any significant change. I'm in the middle of a remote tuning process from Blackbear performance. i have 2 ECM tune files from them that i can switch off either 89 or 91 octane. Using either they were able to see that i had a bad driver's side 02 sensor which was limiting even the stock tune despite not having a CEL on or weird gas MPG. Also my car has 15k miles only so for anyone with higher miles what are the odds you have similar issues that are unknown. I may change my factory plugs out next just to be sure.

Im not so sure. I see a difference with 93 vs 87 on this car. Almost any car will run a tad faster on E 85. According to the owners manual it says premium fuel is recommended for optimum performance but 87 is acceptable.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

IDLife Caprice wrote:These engines run really hot which is one of the reasons the DOD lifters fail due to improper oil maintenance.

I cannot let mine sit and idle as the temps will climb to over 250 degrees with the A/C on. Once it hits 244 degrees it shuts the A/C compressor off but it will still climb. I can only assume its the cam causing this because it does have a considerable lope. I plan on removing the factory oil cooler and installing a front mount since the stacked one is so ineffective at reducing high oil temperatures.

Sure the car runs a rock solid 195 at road speeds but it is completely ineffective even with the fans programmed to come on early. The issue I face with the engine cooling could be eradicated with vents in the hood and/or fender ventilation. I am sure that if I added headers now and did not wrap and coat them... the issue would be even greater.

I am considering entering the 2016 One Lap of America with my car and if so... I will be upgrading all the cooling systems with a comprehensive set-up.
I really think something is wrong with your cooling system. In 100 plus temps we got this summer, all of our Caprices (25 plus) would easily maintain 199-201 temps with AC on even under the most demanding circumstances. These cars have a cooling fan recall. Maybe you have one that appears to be working but is in fact defective. Or if it were a former police car, may have grass caught up in between radiator and condenser. Running with a failed fan also causes issues with the contacts to fail in the cooling fan relays. You could also have an intermittent failure of the relay where the fan is not always working.

Just an idea.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96