new user

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
RealLife

new user

Post by RealLife »

Hi,
I just joined. I am considering buying a Caprice, but am unsure of the trade-off of 2013 and earlier vs 2014 and later versions. My question is about general parts availability. I think both can be problematic. I would like to hear an opinion of an overall picture...is one generation much more difficult than the other? I tried to search, but I didn't come up with anything. If you can point me to a thread that would be great.
I owned a 2005 GTO for 5 years, so I have dealt with Australian cars before. This wouldn't be my only car, really just something to tinker with.
Thanks!
elc32955
System Manager

Re: new user

Post by elc32955 »

Hey there....

The 2014-2017 series cars have more American-based content in the base design as well as some refinements/improvements over the 2011-2013 cars (wider seat width for instance). The 2011-2013 cars are pretty much strictly Holden origination with the US parts the Commodore series normally used.

Parts availability is and continues to be an issue with all of these cars, seems to be mostly interior parts and some things that were spec'd by Holden unique to the Australian operation. Over time more parts stocks will dry up and when that happens the remaining parts prices will climb, availability will fall, and the scarcity of parts may end up downing some cars. Guess it will depends how many parts we can find alternative sources for as well as available interchange. We are seeing some small-scale production of parts for these cars by other then GM sources, but no large investments yet that I've seen (chime in here folks if I'm missing something). There are 2011-2013 specific parts that will become less available due to production age while 2014-2017 parts may still be plentiful. A large degree of drivetrain parts are one fits all for all model years (2011 being a bit of an oddball as it was the first year out of the gate), keeping in mind the distinction between the V6 and V8 cars.

So, there we sit. We are not into panic mode yet as all critical items are still available, but GM's lust to purge old inventory from their warehouse system is NOT our friend. Another 24 months down the road? Not so sure...

Welcome!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.