Tire Pressure System Fault

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
CrashTestDummy

Tire Pressure System Fault

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Was taking one of our kids to the vet for some teeth work, heard a chime, looked at the dash to see:

"Tire Pressure System Fault"

on the DIC. The car mostly sits in the garage hooked up to a battery tender and is my primary car when I have to go out, which is rare these days. Anyway, a scan with my OBD scanner, BlueRhino, which claims to be able to scan for supplemental systems, like SIR, TCS and, specifically Tire Pressure, revealed no codes. When I go to check the tire pressures on the DIC, all are blank. The tires all had about 35 PSI in them at the time, and I've bumped it to 40, but the message is still there.

Anyone know a possible cause and solution to the issue? Hopefully, there's a troubleshooting guide in the FSM, which I'm about to dig into now. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Re: Tire Pressure System Fault

Post by CrashTestDummy »

According to the FSM, the sensor battery has a 10-year service life. So, for a 2012 model car.... My Time is Up? :x

If so, the sensor has to be replaced? I'm guessing that's a trip to Discount Tire to get done?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I had one TPMS battery die in my camaro wheels. I ordered a set of new gm genuine sensors from rock auto and had discount throw them in when they put tires on.

I have had bad luck in the past with whatever brand discount tire sells.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Did your Camaro throw a 'Tire Pressure Systems Fault' notice on the DIC?

Sadly, we got tires about 2 years ago, and they probably have 1000 miles on them. So to do this, it will be 'off cycle'.

I, too, am a fan of GM parts, so may go that route. It seems the Caprice use the 'Schrader' brand TPM sensors, and I can get those from O'Reilly.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Do you have a cheap TPMS relearn tool? You probably have one sensor that has a dead battery. Try to relearn the sensors. If one will not relearn, you found the one with bad sensor/dead battery. You can also use the “let the air out and refill method” if you don’t want to invest in the tool. They are around a $15.00 investment.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 pm Did your Camaro throw a 'Tire Pressure Systems Fault' notice on the DIC?

Sadly, we got tires about 2 years ago, and they probably have 1000 miles on them. So to do this, it will be 'off cycle'.

I, too, am a fan of GM parts, so may go that route. It seems the Caprice use the 'Schrader' brand TPM sensors, and I can get those from O'Reilly.
They were factory Camaro wheels and TPMS on the caprice. It did occasionally throw the fault notice.

I did also do what Sanford mentioned and got the cheapo relearn tool to diagnose.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

BluesBro wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:08 am
CrashTestDummy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 pm Did your Camaro throw a 'Tire Pressure Systems Fault' notice on the DIC?

They were factory Camaro wheels and TPMS on the caprice. It did occasionally throw the fault notice.

I did also do what Sanford mentioned and got the cheapo relearn tool to diagnose.
Cool. Thanks all. I guess I'll grab a relearn tool and check things out, although I'm thinking that if one or more batteries have failed, the others are soon to follow, since they should be near EOL if they're all original.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Wow! Relearn tools are all over the map as far as cost AND performance, apparently. Most seem to get 1's and 5's on review. Analysis paralysis!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I have two different brands of the Chinese TPMS tools. They both seem to do the job with no problem. I have been using them for about 5 years now. Got tired of dropping the air pressure and then airing back up. I have gotten good at swapping the sensors out at the house. That is the nice thing about running steelies.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?