Whole Instrument cluster does not work with BCM codes!

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Jasonec

Whole Instrument cluster does not work with BCM codes!

Post by Jasonec »

This will be specific and to the point for through guidance. Photos will be included with codes and the visual problem. P.S - No buttons on the steering wheel, sport mode, traction mode, and third button by it don’t work as well.

I got a 2014 Chevy Caprice from the Maryland state trooper department two weeks ago and the instrument cluster was broken before purchase. It was replaced (private mechanic so no program) with a used one that worked and the same issue occurred so it’s not the cluster itself. Of course after putting the old one back in I made sure it was plugged in. SO CLUSTER ITSELF IS GOOD.

After calling the dealership and asking for the fuse to check it they told me the fuse can’t be bad since the backlighting on the cluster comes on so the fuse is also “good” based off that. This is when I learned it needs to be programmed to VIN in which I didn’t do to the old or new cluster installed since I don’t know if that’s the real problem (could be lol).

This leads be to think that it is something to do with the BCM having miscommunication maybe because of bad wires. I have a photo of codes all from BCM one being U0155 which is ‘loss communication with instrument cluster’

All this explained with photos can someone please explain like you would to a child where and how this could be happening and what I may have to do to fix it?

This is first post let me know if photos arnt seen.
Attachments
Codes
Codes
IMG_1423.png (349.35 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Codes
Codes
IMG_1422.png (489.22 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Cluster not working
Cluster not working
image.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 1214 times
s/c'd cav

Re: Whole Instrument cluster does not work with BCM codes!

Post by s/c'd cav »

take it into the dealer to get fixed , my guess is someone in the decomissioning of the car cut some wires
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

To expand..... TOW it into the preferred dealer or service facility. With that dash message, do NOT drive it unless you absolutely have no other option. Members here had horror stories with the electric power steering doing the wiggly jiggly and there were reports from agencies that the steering went hard left or hard right with little or no notice - or just locked in position and jiggled or froze. Bad position to be in on the highway at speed when the car says "I'm not playing anymore!" and goes WHAM!!!

Keep us updated.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Do you have a scan tool to look at live data on ALL of the modules? Were the codes cleared and did they come back?
Jasonec

Post by Jasonec »

Yes the codes were cleared and they came back. I see fuse f13 in the instrument panel powers the instrument cluster and I will just replace that just in case.

BTW, all these warnings on the screen pop up. I drove the car 11 hours straight with no problems. That’s the problem.. there is no communication with the cluster.

If wires were cut during decommissioning will I see them if I were to remove the dash? I would want to do this before going to the dealership since they will charge 170 per hour. Any thoughts on this? Is the wires in front of the firewall?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Here's a video I found on Youtube of a 2013 Sierra that had the same cluster comm loss code pop up. This might be apples & oranges, but it's something to watch on a GM product. Your under-hood electrical center didn't get wet or damaged by chance did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=288Nn33Gi2g

I found one other item to peruse. This is from a company in Australia that is maintaining that some ACDelco (Holden) ECM's are unreliable basically with age & miles and are starting to fail out. One of the codes is U155 they throw at you when they grenade. Now this seems to be for the V6 cars, but just sayin.....

https://injectronics.com.au/resources/b ... di-engine/

Good luck
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Jasonec wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:22 pm
If wires were cut during decommissioning will I see them if I were to remove the dash? I would want to do this before going to the dealership since they will charge 170 per hour. Any thoughts on this? Is the wires in front of the firewall?
way to hard to say , could be anything under the driver or pass side dash , as well the kick panel areas on both sides , the bcm is specifically on the pass side , and its a guessing game on on what kinda equipment they had in the vehicle and all what it was tied into
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Would I be wrong in saying that some of the IP cluster information is via a serial bus circuit?. Also, doesn't the IP cluster need to be VIN synced? This keeps people from swapping out IP clusters for a lower odometer reading. All of the modules need the VIN to talk to each other, including the radio.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Jasonec

Post by Jasonec »

I hope vin programming is the solution that would be a miracle. I will call the dealership to confirm this and provide my vin.

So I found a caprice for parts on Facebook and I was just thinking of buying the whole wire harness that was discussed under the driver and passenger dash. Then installing it on mine it is the same year. (2014). Hopefully a 100% working wire harness that would work as stock. (Maybe programming would be needed after installation?)

Im not the most educated in electrical so I’m not surprised if it doesn’t work like this but sounds like a good solution.