Hello from North Texas

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Geo

Hello from North Texas

Post by Geo »

Hey all! I live around the Dallas area and have been watching the classifieds. I'm looking for a v8 and can't make up my mind if I should look for the 2011-2013 or the later version. This will become my primary vehicle that I will commute in. Anyone have experience with a cammed v8 in stop and go traffic?

My 2008 gti is on its last leg and I'm ready for something bigger with more cylinders.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Hello from North Texas

Post by Pursuit »

My 2011 9C3 has a BTR Stage 1 cam, stock converter and 3.45 gears, tuned by Chris Henry Motorsports. It is drivable in stop and go traffic. It doesn't push against the converter.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Geo

Post by Geo »

Thank you for that. Do you happen to know a Facebook group that has these cars for sale? I have requested access to a couple and was never provided access.

I have been watching many of the sites listed in the classifieds section.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I would just check Facebook Market Place. There are quite a few in Texas listed.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi,

Facebook moderators won't even let ME have access to the Caprice & parts for sale group, so it's not just you. If you go into our Caprice for sale section, the first post on top has many links to sites that run Caprices for sale including Facebook. Make sure you are logged in on Facebook and then follow the specific Facebook links we have posted for each geographical area you want to search. About the best we can do without having consistent access to the private for-sale groups.

FYI if you check Proxibid Tampa Machinery Auction in Florida is selling a 2015 and a 2017 on Saturday morning. Not too many 2017's in the wild that we've seen, the 2015 has lower miles though. Both L77 V8's.

Good luck
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Geo

Post by Geo »

I finally picked up a 2016 6.0. After having it a couple days, someone already keyed it real bad starting at the front passenger fender and ending on the rear door. Pretty sad of them to do that. Hopefully the picture I attach works out.

This already has the dod delete with LS3 cam. I need remove the rear door panels to see whats needed for them to open from the inside.

The car came from Currituck County NC.
20231208_143742.jpg
20231208_143742.jpg (4.87 MiB) Viewed 1433 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Nice looking ride, congrats on the purchase. It sucks that people have that little respect for our cars, but not much you can do. If you're living in a vandalism-prone area might consider a external security camera with a DVR to nail the asshats responsible - if they're stupid enough to try it again. I run a Blackvue DR500 camera mounted behind my rear view mirror that will record when parked, so I've got about a 1 in 3 chance of getting pics of someone that might do something on the street...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Welcome!! Nice looking ride. How does it run with the LS3 cam? I understand that adds a bit of power. Sad that people suck so much! We've been lucky, but my car doesn't get out much these days.

Not sure about the 2016 model, but the door latch cables on our 2012 were disconnected and the 'child' switch at the back of the door jamb was also on. Word of caution: if you pull the door panel off to reconnect the door cable, make sure the other door is open when you test things out. Otherwise, climbing over the console to get out from the front seat area can be a bit of a challenge... or so I'm told. :oops:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Geo

Post by Geo »

I don't have any experience with other LS motors or PPVs, but was thinking the LS3 cam was basically a OE spec cam generally used when removing the DOD. I will say this runs pretty darn good for what it is. I'm still pleasantly surprised when I mash the pedal down.

Thanks for the heads up about the rear doors, but I think I already had a similar encounter when I shut myself in to take care of the baby. I was able to get the key in the ignition and turn to accessory so I could roll the window down and open the door from the outside handle. :lol: