In search of a dad mobile

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
CrashTestDummy

Re: In search of a dad mobile

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Oversizedchild wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:22 pm I’m seeing a few lightly modified 2014+ for sale on Facebook. I’m in VA and the prices here seem to be a bit higher than some of the bigger states. Looks like this is a smaller community, so the guys that are known for modding and selling pop up quite frequently on the PPV pages. I’ll keep everyone posted when I finally get one!
You can get vehicles shipped for ~$500-$700, so you can keep that in mind if you're shopping 'out of town'. :D
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Oversizedchild

Post by Oversizedchild »

Update: purchased a 2014 Caprice that already had the DOD delete done, a TSP Chopacabra cam, Speed Engineering headers, and a tune from Charles Barber. It was a Maryland State trooper car so it has the two tone paint job, but I love it. It is going to need a converter immediately. I’m looking at the Circle D triple disc units. Looks to be good drivability and performance for the money.
BLTPPV

Post by BLTPPV »

What are the issues with the chopacabra? I have one waiting to go in, was hoping to avoid doing the stall as well. Any insight on driveability would be appreciated.
Oversizedchild

Post by Oversizedchild »

As of right now, car is pushing through the brakes when coming to a stop. I reached out to the original tuner and he stated he can work on the tune to help with drivability. I will update once I have that done. I need to order the HPTuner and then get it flashed.
BLTPPV

Post by BLTPPV »

Thanks for the update. I bought that cam because it is advertised as being OEM stall friendly. I plan on having it tuned professionally. Hopefully tuning it will resolve the issue for you.

Please post an update once you have a chance to. I don't want to go through the effort only to find out I need a stall too.
Oversizedchild

Post by Oversizedchild »

Going to read the tune, install the VCM intake and hopefully load a new tune this weekend. Driving the car more often, it is manageable, but definitely has “interesting characteristics “ when sitting in traffic. It may just be the nature of the cam + stock converter. I’ll update once the tune is installed.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Any cam with some overlap while with a stock converter is usually not a fun experience. You either raise the idle speed and the car will try to push through the brakes or you lower the idle speed and it will want to buck and stall. The more overlap on the exhaust to intake valve events the worse it is. Mild cams are ok but they get worse as the cam is more aggressive. You need a looser converter to allow the cam to naturally lope. I tried to live with it with a BTR LS3 NA Stage 2 cam and that lasted about a week before I ordered a stall. LOL. Side note from a performance standpoint a converter makes a huge difference. It is an excellent mod. I didn't want to do converter either after my cam install. But I am glad I did. The car drives much nicer and when you punch it you get right into the RPM band of the cam for the most power. Also my Circle D cam drives so nice my wife doesn't even notice. It just feels different to her.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Oversizedchild

Post by Oversizedchild »

I am seeing that more and more. The retune has made a difference though. The lower idle has some of the characteristics you speak of (occasionally wanting to die). It is much more manageable now than it was before. It almost makes me wonder if the tune that was on the car was for a different vehicle. Car had a constant smell of gas (rich smell) and had a much more aggressive transmission tune. Car feels more normal now, but with a chop. Haven't had time to data log, but definitely a noticeable difference over the previous tune.