Cam Gear Installation Issues

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Grandstaff

Cam Gear Installation Issues

Post by Grandstaff »

Hello, so I am in the final stretch of my DOD delete, I've installed the new cam and retainer plate, but I'm having issues installing the cam gear. I can get the chain around it just fine, but there is not enough slack to get the gear up to the cam shift, I have tried jiggling the chain incase it was stuck, but nothing is working. It's an oem cam gear with a 3 bolt pattern as opposed to the 1 bolt. Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I need to take off the oil pan and oil pump to get it on right?Image
Grandstaff

Re: Cam Gear Installation Issues

Post by Grandstaff »

20230801_183648.jpg
20230801_183648.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 1109 times
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I think you have to release the tension on the timing chain tensioner. On the left in your picture. And I think most people recommend getting rid of that stock tensioner and using the barbell-looking solid tensioner. Like this one:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20477/1 ... -FEALw_wcB
Grandstaff

Post by Grandstaff »

Lord Vader wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:41 pm I think you have to release the tension on the timing chain tensioner. On the left in your picture. And I think most people recommend getting rid of that stock tensioner and using the barbell-looking solid tensioner. Like this one:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20477/1 ... -FEALw_wcB
I have a nail in the hole, holding the tensioner back, and the only reason I'm putting the dog bone dampener in is because I can't really drop the oil pan. The gear keeps getting caught on right side of the tensioner and there's not enough slack to get it over that and onto the camshaft.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

PLEASE PLEASE , ditch that tensioner !!!

they are known for falling apart ! you want to get the ls2 unit , its a block that sits in the middle
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

s/c'd cav wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:35 am PLEASE PLEASE , ditch that tensioner !!!

they are known for falling apart ! you want to get the ls2 unit , its a block that sits in the middle
Agreed. Common on the forums to hear of the plastic breaking or the little metal spring coming out and winding up in the oil pan. I would go with the LS2 tensioner. That is what I did.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Grandstaff

Post by Grandstaff »

bstoner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:48 pm
s/c'd cav wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:35 am PLEASE PLEASE , ditch that tensioner !!!

Agreed. Common on the forums to hear of the plastic breaking or the little metal spring coming out and winding up in the oil pan. I would go with the LS2 tensioner. That is what I did.
I was able to get the pump off and replaced the stock tensioner with the dog bone, now I'm wondering if I can get the one sided melling oil pump brace so I don't have to screw in the pump on the oil pan side?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/M295 ... 9FEALw_wcB
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Grandstaff wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:45 pm
I was able to get the pump off and replaced the stock tensioner with the dog bone, now I'm wondering if I can get the one sided melling oil pump brace so I don't have to screw in the pump on the oil pan side?

That is for the oil pickup tube. It allows you to clamp the tube on both sides instead of just one side like it comes from the factory.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i was able to add the improved racing clamp onto the other side on my 5.3 rainier(trailblazer) with just the oil pan removed
Grandstaff

Post by Grandstaff »

bstoner wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:51 am
Grandstaff wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:45 pm

That is for the oil pickup tube. It allows you to clamp the tube on both sides instead of just one side like it comes from the factory.
I apologize for any confusion, but I guess what I am trying to say is am I able to use the brace to relocate the screw to the other side without having to use the other bolt i.e. the right bolt that causes you to have to drop the pan.