Gun powder like smell. Clutch going bad?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Dreaux281

Gun powder like smell. Clutch going bad?

Post by Dreaux281 »

Seeing if anyone else has had this problem. Haven’t done any modifications yet other than a cold air first off. Sometimes when I hit the gas good and it downshifts I can smell a gunpowder like smell. The transmission doesn’t act up terribly other than holding gears too long occasionally but only when i give it too much throttle then let off. Wondering if a bad dod is causing this which I do have the parts for just need to install them as I have heard that it can cause transmission issues. Also popped abs, tc, and tpms lights not long ago if that would have anything to do with the problem. Thanks for reading let me know if yall know anything.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Gun powder like smell. Clutch going bad?

Post by Pursuit »

Just taking a stab at this... WOT heat exposing bad catalytic converters? Just guessing....
Sometimes bad engine performance will trip other drivetrain codes. Maybe put a scanner on it?

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I agree with the cats. Mine smells like an old carbed rich running small block and it's coming from the exhaust. I have a set of cheap cats that came with the JBA system and I'm pretty sure they're dead.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Dreaux281

Post by Dreaux281 »

Alright I’m in the market for some headers so hopefully that will get rid of the smell. Going to do a fluid flush and bigger pan too just to be safe. Thanks guys!
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Forgot to respond to the transmission holding the gears. This was programmed into the shift patterns. If the computer thinks that you are in "pursuit" it will hold the gear in case you got off of the throttle to scrub speed. It keeps the trans ready to go for the next stab of the throttle, to avoid a downshift. My Caprice and 2012 9C1 Impala both act the same when it comes to upshifting. They will both actively downshift (to use the engine as a slowing force) also when hard braking is perceived.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof