Upgrading Sound System in 11-13 Cars

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ColoCapriceGuy

Upgrading Sound System in 11-13 Cars

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

I have decided to create a long winded post in regards to making a decent sound system in your car. I have tackled mine and ave ultimately created a solution which I thing is the superior solution for anyone who decides to take on this endeavor in the future.

Silverbox

First I highly recommend to replace your silver box. The stock silver box outputs 10-15w of power to your speakers through one amp. your stock box is AM/FM only.

Can ypu send this box out for an unlock? Yes! Is it worth it? Absolutely not. An unlock is $250 plus outbound shipping ($20-$35). Then you are without HVAC Control for multiple days. Also dont get me started if your car is a 2013 (missing rear speaker channels).

The best solutions is the ALC box. You choose your back spash color (red or blue), you choose your start screen (chevy, holden, or HSV). On top of these choices, the radio has dual amos which gives you a 20-30w output, you get everything unlocked (back up camera, bluetooth, RSA, etc.) you get to store 15 CD's. The price $325. Then sell your old silver box for $100. $225 all in vs $275 for shipping off you box.Also you get a fifth channel for your top dash speaker which would never be available on your stock chevrolet box.

Speakers

Your stock speakers are made from a paper like material. These are good at low volumes. However this is not sufficient. I would highly reccommend to directly replace all the speakers in your doors. All door speakers are 6.5 inches. There are many options to fit your door. However, I would highly reccommend to buy these direct drop in replacements. NVX is a U.S. made brand and is highly accredited. They have three different line up of speakers, however after testing the NVX NSP65 are well worth the money. Currently, their website is accepting the code NEWYEAR for a discount when purchasing. Buying two sets of these will replace your door speakers. I am not here to debate which speaker is the best to put in your car but for the price I would go out on a limb and say 9/10 would agree these are the best choice.

Door Speakers: https://nvx.com/products/nsp65-540w-pea ... e-tweeters

ALC Silverbox: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303855869951?m ... Lw2_B4GRzE

If you go with the ALC box you can also compliment these with the NSP35 which will fit your top dash hole. Lastly, to connect all these speaker or any other speaker to your stock wiring you will need these adapters: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193784186205

Subwoofers

The 11-13 are equppied with two 8 inch speaker holes on the back deck. These holes are designed for Free-Air Subs. If you add subs you will need a LOC (line out convertor). You can pull audio from the rear door speakers at the B-Pillar and run it back to the amplifier then up to the subs.

Subs are expensive and I don't believe they are condusive to a great experience but they will enhace it for sure.

It would be cheaper to either add a premade sub box into the trunk or find a G8 part out whose amp is a LOC and Amp in one, and the subs and wiring are plug and play.

All in all

You should buy a replacement silver box and replace all speakers asap, you will be kicking yourself otherwise. It makes a great difference and the ride much more enjoyable. Maybe add subs at a later date.
ColoCapriceGuy

Re: Upgrading Sound System in 11-13 Cars

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

I also forgot to mention-

You can try the V series which are a higher build quality and may even fit the door holes much, but I have yet to try these. I’m ordering a set to let you know if it’s worth it.

Right now they are on sale for $50 and then the NEWYEAR code will save you even more so they are cheaper route to go, which is surprising since according to their website the V series is superior to the N Series.

https://nvx.com/products/vsp60-600w-pea ... 3cda&_ss=r
redsled579

Post by redsled579 »

Great info! This seems to be the best option without getting super carried away on 11-13 cars
2012 9C3 Phantom Black ex K9 unit. - "McGruff"
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Now in reference to the ALC silver box, will this box give you an option for nav (I'm assuming there would be an upcharge) with US maps? Makes it even more palatable.

One other note.... When removing the OEM silver box, make DARNED well sure you baby the Fakra antenna connector when you disconnect the coax from it. Break that and you just turned your $100 resale into practically zilch since you have to replace the connector... on the board... which requires soldering. You can break those without any effort at all. Ask me how I know this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
ColoCapriceGuy

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

It doesn’t give you a NAV board but an option to upgrade.

I ordered three silver box’s with nav boards and am going to load US maps to see if it works before people mass order.
bullitt773

Post by bullitt773 »

Ok, I know this is a really dumb question but I'm brand new to this. Just got a '13 a month or so ago. When you say "Silver Box", is that aside from the front interface (screen) part of the stereo? Also, are rear speakers doable on the '13?
RedDeath5

Post by RedDeath5 »

bullitt773 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:51 am Ok, I know this is a really dumb question but I'm brand new to this. Just got a '13 a month or so ago. When you say "Silver Box", is that aside from the front interface (screen) part of the stereo? Also, are rear speakers doable on the '13?
The silver box is actually behind the touch screen. It's literally a metal box with plugs and a CD slot. Nothing visible changes when you swap em out, except for the display after it turns on.

There are, theoretically, 9 speaker spots in your PPV. A pair of tweeters near the A pillars, a center channel spot, a 6.5" in each door, and spots for 8" free air subwoofers in the rear package shelf.

You definitely don't have subs or a center channel. There's a pretty good chance you don't have rear door speaker, either (my 13 doesn't). But once you swap the silver box, your options are endless and everything will sound MUCH better.
bullitt773

Post by bullitt773 »

Great, thank you very much!
Sidneybowman4

Post by Sidneybowman4 »

Awesome write up bro. Just was trying to upgrade my system.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

ColoCapriceGuy wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:44 am It doesn’t give you a NAV board but an option to upgrade.

I ordered three silver box’s with nav boards and am going to load US maps to see if it works before people mass order.
I think what you might find is even the updated map is about 10 years old and only covers the eastern United States. Even the guys in AU who have a complete update are not so keen on the technology. Waze or Google maps on your phone are a stellar leap ahead in technology compared to what the IQ offered at it's peak.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White