What did you do to your Caprice today?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
AlucarDx757

Re: What did you do to your Caprice today?

Post by AlucarDx757 »

bstoner wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm I got tired of my "low battery" message on the DIC and finally fixed it. Everytime I unlocked the car or started the car it would chime 4 times and show "low battery" on the instrument cluster. Battery was fine at 12.7v at rest. Thought it might be related to the keyfob battery but it wasn't. Figured out it is triggered by the BCM when it reads 11.6v or less. More specificially on the 4th connecter (black one) on the BCM in terminal 26 there is a black ground wire. That ground wire runs to the negative battery terminal and if its disconnected or has corrosion the BCM will read low voltage. I was getting infinite resistance to ground on it. Once I fixed that wire I stopped getting the message at every remote unlock and key on.
I have this same issue can you show me what to look? Pictures maybe or where to start testing voltage. Im new to the caprice ppv but i do know I'm getting good battery voltage and alternator is charging.
2014 Caprice 9c1 // stock for now \\
BJH27

Post by BJH27 »

the adventure continues with my clapped out cop suspension...probably overkill but installed rear trailing arms, upper toe rods from BMR. fun fact: drivers side bolt toe rod is actually on backwards and hits the gas tank so you have to lower the cradle a bit. nothing is easy on this car. both knuckles got replaced. bushing were shot to hell. found out passenger side knuckles are like gold good luck finding one. seems everything rear passenger was blown to bits. e brake, dust shield, cv axle, knuckle bushings. thank God have had good luck with wrecked chevy ss parts.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

AlucarDx757 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:07 pm
bstoner wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm I got tired of my "low battery" message on the DIC and finally fixed it. Everytime I unlocked the car or started the car it would chime 4 times and show "low battery" on the instrument cluster. Battery was fine at 12.7v at rest. Thought it might be related to the keyfob battery but it wasn't. Figured out it is triggered by the BCM when it reads 11.6v or less. More specificially on the 4th connecter (black one) on the BCM in terminal 26 there is a black ground wire. That ground wire runs to the negative battery terminal and if its disconnected or has corrosion the BCM will read low voltage. I was getting infinite resistance to ground on it. Once I fixed that wire I stopped getting the message at every remote unlock and key on.
I have this same issue can you show me what to look? Pictures maybe or where to start testing voltage. Im new to the caprice ppv but i do know I'm getting good battery voltage and alternator is charging.
Remove the passenger side footwell panel (open the front passenger door, look down and to the right under the dash and it's the panel that is against the outer wall). Behind the panel and tucked up in there is the body control module. Pull the 4th connector which is black. The pins are labeled and you want to check for ground on pin #26; a black wire. (Log into your local libary and download the wiring connectors from the Chilton Library for more info.) If you don't have low resistance to ground on that wire then it probably got disconnected or has a poor connection at the battery. It ends at the negative battery terminal. You can also back wire that wire on the connector to give it a good ground and see if the message stops appearing. I ended up splicing into that black wire and running it to a nearby ground I cleaned to bare metal. Once I did that the BCM was then reading the correct voltage and I stopped getting the message.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
AlucarDx757

Post by AlucarDx757 »

bstoner wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:50 am
AlucarDx757 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:07 pm
Remove the passenger side footwell panel (open the front passenger door, look down and to the right under the dash and it's the panel that is against the outer wall). Behind the panel and tucked up in there is the body control module. Pull the 4th connector which is black. The pins are labeled and you want to check for ground on pin #26; a black wire. (Log into your local libary and download the wiring connectors from the Chilton Library for more info.) If you don't have low resistance to ground on that wire then it probably got disconnected or has a poor connection at the battery. It ends at the negative battery terminal. You can also back wire that wire on the connector to give it a good ground and see if the message stops appearing. I ended up splicing into that black wire and running it to a nearby ground I cleaned to bare metal. Once I did that the BCM was then reading the correct voltage and I stopped getting the message.
Awesome thanks! I was able to find the break; it was a small ring terminal at the battery and the ground wire had fallen behind the battery. Reconnecting it cleared my error. I think it was broken when someone put the wrong size battery in the car it had a H9 sitting(not fitting) in the H7 spot.
2014 Caprice 9c1 // stock for now \\
Jester01

Post by Jester01 »

Installed sound deadner in the trunk and under the spare tire. Rear seat and doors tomorrow.
Jester01

Post by Jester01 »

Installed center console and rear seats. Coming along nicely I think.
Attachments
IMG_20230818_201341554_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230818_201341554_HDR.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 1014 times
Jester01

Post by Jester01 »

Some more pictures
Attachments
IMG_20230819_101810522.jpg
IMG_20230819_101810522.jpg (5 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
IMG_20230818_201351779.jpg
IMG_20230818_201351779.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
IMG_20230819_101801735_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230819_101801735_HDR.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
IMG_20230819_101759052.jpg
IMG_20230819_101759052.jpg (4.69 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
Jester01

Post by Jester01 »

Added more pictures. Car is progressing nicely. Gonna try the rear diff install tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

Replaced a large headlight dust cover with a mercedes part 15822200 that i got on Ebay for 13.50 and finished wiring in my fog lights.
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

I swapped in two new cooling fan motors. The drivers side was kaput.