285/35/18

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Post Reply
mbtech1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 pm

285/35/18

Post by mbtech1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm

I just mounted these up and thought you guys would like some pics of the fitment. This car has the H&R springs. Used 5mm spacers just for fun.
Attachments
IMG_4941.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 6063 times
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG (2.69 MiB) Viewed 6063 times
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 6063 times
IMG_4925.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 6063 times
IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG (2.52 MiB) Viewed 6063 times

CrashTestDummy
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 pm
Location: Pearland, Texas

Re: 285/35/18

Post by CrashTestDummy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Welcome!

Nice that you can put that much tire under there cars. I think we have 265’s, and I thought that was a lot of tire.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1996 BBB Impala SS (11-second DD)
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?

Ilikemtb999
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:49 am

Re: 285/35/18

Post by Ilikemtb999 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:21 pm

No issues with it being such a short tire?

mbtech1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Re: 285/35/18

Post by mbtech1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am

CrashTestDummy wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:56 pm
Welcome!

Nice that you can put that much tire under there cars. I think we have 265’s, and I thought that was a lot of tire.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with it. I had the 265s as well, and I was looking at it with the car in the air, and there was plenty of room. They fit with or without the 5mm spacers. I'm confident that 285/40/18 drag radials will fit too. Next is 265s on the front.

mbtech1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Re: 285/35/18

Post by mbtech1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:47 am

Ilikemtb999 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:21 pm
No issues with it being such a short tire?
No - I had 265/35/18 before, and they're actually a little smaller in diameter, roughly 3/8 inch. I used a speedometer app on the phone to compare with the speedometer in the car, with 265s car read about 4 mph faster, with 285s car about 3 mph faster. (at 80 mph)

User avatar
kevink
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: 285/35/18

Post by kevink » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm

mbtech1 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am
CrashTestDummy wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:56 pm
Welcome!

Nice that you can put that much tire under there cars. I think we have 265’s, and I thought that was a lot of tire.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with it. I had the 265s as well, and I was looking at it with the car in the air, and there was plenty of room. They fit with or without the 5mm spacers. I'm confident that 285/40/18 drag radials will fit too. Next is 265s on the front.
285/40/18 DR has been done and fit, but they look too short in my opinion. If you're after traction, you actually want more sidewall, not less.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.

User avatar
#802PalmBeach
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Re: 285/35/18

Post by #802PalmBeach » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm

This is an interesting topic. I am shopping for budget replacement tires for the stock wheels. Wanted to squeeze 245s in there, I'm sure that's not an issue but sounds like I have a lot more room 255s would be great. Stock suspension and everything, normal tire size is 235/50/18
https://lsxnos.com/

'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77
30 to 70 MPH in 4.3 seconds so far

'02 Silverado 5.3 L59
8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile)

YouTube channel

User avatar
#802PalmBeach
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Re: 285/35/18

Post by #802PalmBeach » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Well I just ordered 245/50/18s for the front for $72 each
I will hold off with the back until I can save up money and do research on just the right wider size for a bit of a staggered look (although I widened the front 10mm - I may just go with a square stance for easier rotatability and savings)

Now I need sensors...
https://lsxnos.com/

'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77
30 to 70 MPH in 4.3 seconds so far

'02 Silverado 5.3 L59
8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile)

YouTube channel

Post Reply