Pontiac G8 carpet in Caprice PPV

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
wigid

Pontiac G8 carpet in Caprice PPV

Post by wigid »

So I could not find any PPV carpet second hand so I fitted Pontiac G8 carpet instead

If the photos below are blurry for you here is an imgur album of some of them: https://imgur.com/a/fwFYMOP

the rear section is a few inches short but I was planning on cutting another rear G8 carpet and overlap it.

but when I fitted the rear seats they covered up the end of the carpet and you can only see

08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
CrashTestDummy

Re: Pontiac G8 carpet in Caprice PPV

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nice, and nice option. A small section of black automotive carpet could cover those holes and look just fine.

Did you fit the oval holes at the rear of the carpet over the front rear seat sockets in the body?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
wigid

Post by wigid »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Nice, and nice option. A small section of black automotive carpet could cover those holes and look just fine.

Did you fit the oval holes at the rear of the carpet over the front rear seat sockets in the body?
all the seat mounts and everything lined up perfectly except for the rear seat
08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Okay, so the back edge of the carpet is just pinched between the seat bottom and the body?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
wigid

Post by wigid »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Okay, so the back edge of the carpet is just pinched between the seat bottom and the body?
Yes that is correct
08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

Why not make the cut just under the front seats, and extend it back as needed?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Then, I think, the holes for the rear seat mounts for the front seats and the rear mount for the console would be in the middle of the rear passenger section. It looks like there's no good way, only get some scrap and add it to the two corners where the exposed floorboard are.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
wigid

Post by wigid »

IDLife Caprice wrote:Why not make the cut just under the front seats, and extend it back as needed?
the section behind the center console and the rear seat is the problem then. I was going to buy another G8 carpet and cut the rear section out and overlay it but this does not look too bad
08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I have a line on a G8 that's being parted out. The owner is indicating that it looks like the carpet was laid down and then the dash was installed, as it appears that there is some bracing that is set through some holes in the carpet which would require the removal of the dash to get the carpet out in one piece, or slicing around those braces. Did you find that when you removed the carpet from the donor, was that done for you, or were some of the holes in the front of the carpet slotted to move around the braces? Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I have a line on a G8 that's being parted out. The owner is indicating that it looks like the carpet was laid down and then the dash was installed, as it appears that there is some bracing that is set through some holes in the carpet which would require the removal of the dash to get the carpet out in one piece, or slicing around those braces. Did you find that when you removed the carpet from the donor, was that done for you, or were some of the holes in the front of the carpet slotted to move around the braces? Thanks.

In this post below you can see the perforations where the carpet gets cut to remove. in the example in this link the wrecking yard did take out the cash so the carpet was not cut. but the new owners did have to cut the carpet to install it rather than remove the dash. So if your guy does not plan to remove the dash just have him cut along the perforation anyway since you will have to when installing:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=619&hilit=carpet#p5238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White