Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
GTObert

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by GTObert »

I don't really want to argue about bigger brakes stopping a car faster, and I'm well aware of all of the other things that affect stopping power. I work as an engineering technician in an experimental test lab, so I deal with this kind of stuff all the time. Changing multiple variables makes it impossible to determine what caused the change, right? For the record I have Camaro 20's and Continental DWS tires. I had the new wheels and tires before the brakes, and there is a difference. Even if there wasn't a difference the pedal feel and the general badassness of the new brakes make them worth the effort.

The point is, I need to find out what the backing plate part number is for the new SS. Once I have the number I'll order them up and see if everything fits as expected.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm not arguing....I'm going to do the big brakes, too. But claims have to be understood for what they are, and I felt it important to lay down some parameters about what a meaningful comparison would entail versus what you are doing--the problem is that others could do the big brake change and not get the same results due to the number of variables involved.

In my first post yesterday (Saturday), at 11:10 PM, there's a link at the top of the message--open it up, the PN's are right there.

Yes, I could have just posted the part numbers.....this board doesn't provide good contrast between regular text and links, unfortunately, without some extra effort.
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

I missed the link before; thanks for the info.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

let us know if there are fitment issues due to the electric park brake actuator vs 11-13 PPV's cable actuation.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

This only slightly off topic but this thread reminded me and it would be good info for those sticking with the stock set up.

As most of us know, one of the many differences between the 94-96 9C1 and their non 9C1 counterparts including the Impala SS was the different backing plate (shield) on the front rotors of the 9C1. There was a very small shield that kept debris off the grease seal but the entire back of the rotor was exposed for heat dissipation purposes. All other B Bodys I'm aware of had a traditional backing plate that shield the entire back side of the rotor.

Now I realize the 94-96 9C1 had special air deflectors to direct air to the front rotors, but this gave me an idea back when I had a 2008 Ford CVPI as a patrol car. It too had full backing plates on the front rotors. The CVPI has "sealed" bearings like our new 9C1s have. When the car was almost new, I simply removed the backing plates on that CVPI leaving the back side of the front rotors exposed and immediately noticed reduced brake fade on extended emergency driving events in the urban environment I work in. In the 6 years I had that car, I never had or noticed any adverse affect from removing the backing plates. In October of 2014, I turned in the CVPI and was issued a 2014 Caprice.

When I got the new Caprice patrol car, I was surprised to see it too had full backing plates on the front. I started thinking, I bet I could remove the front backing plates completely to improve cooling properties of the front rotors. I have not actually done it yet but I think its a good free mod for our cars. With both the 94 9C1 and the CVPI, never ever had problems with rotors. I just kind of wonder why there is actually one on there for the new 9C1s. Has anyone removed the front back plates yet?
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

yes, I removed them when I did the 15K brake service....

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mentioned in picture text, but, once again, the photos are corrupted and I STILL need to fix them....
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Does the SS have leading or trailing rear brake calipers? The pictures of the plate make it look like it's not going to fit.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

trailing--VE/VF (Commodore/SS) and WM/WN (Caprice) are all the same--except that SS/VF (2014+) and WN (2014+) have the electric park brake setup, but caliper position remains the same
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Parts are on order then. I'll try to get this all put together by next weekend so everyone can stop wondering about how the stock wheels fit. I'm curious myself, but based on how the fronts fit I don't know why the rears would be any different.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm not currently located where my desktop and print/attachment skills are less challenged, or I could have posted a picture already--here's the Brembo caliper treatment I'll be using:

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/attachmen ... liiper.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;