Brake Speculation

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
GTObert

Re: Brake Speculation

Post by GTObert »

Well, I guess I'm not considering law enforcement when I say that this should be this way from the factory. I really think this car should be made for civilians and I've felt that way since 2010 when I first read they were going to be imported here.

Obviously cost is higher. I'm thinking time to replace is about the same. The Brembos are probably less prone to failure though because of the fact that the caliper doesn't have to slide on pins.

I used EBC redstuff pads.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bert, do you have 9C1 steelies to test fit over those? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Not sure I'd do it, but if a set of bigger calipers/rotors dropped in my lap.....

While I haven't driven our 9C1 hard yet, the brakes look plenty big, I don't hear of the brake issues with these cars the Police Departments have had with other vehicles, namely the Charger. I know the Houston Police Academy drives the snot out of their small fleet, and all I've heard them having to replace with any frequency are the tires (the surface is a very aggressive concrete, I corded a set of tires in 5000 miles when we autocrossed our SVO there). They love the things, purposely-requesting they get them over anything else HPD has in it's fleet.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

I wasn't going to say anything until I had a chance to check the rears, but the fronts do clear with stock wheels. It's pretty close, but it's almost as if the bulge in the center of the wheel is meant to clear these calipers. I'll let you know if the rears fit by Monday hopefully.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

When you are finished could you post a more detailed list of what exactly you used (part #/cost) please
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Typical, I do do all the leg work and then everyone else wants to just come in and benefit from all my hard work...

Just kidding, Navy Lifer actually gave me the majority of the information I needed. A lot of credit has to go to him. I'll come up with a list of parts and post it as soon as I'm done along with some pictures. I really just need to be sure the rears go together and see if the stock wheels fit before I post anything conclusive. I'm thinking I may start a new thread as the title of this one might make it difficult for people to find in the future. Who knows, if I put together a comprehensive enough post it could be a sticky how-to.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Update on rears? and do the 18" Steel wheels fit?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Parts aren't here yet. I promise I'll let you know when I get it done.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
LA9C1

Post by LA9C1 »

update? do the stock steelies fit?
GTObert wrote:Parts aren't here yet. I promise I'll let you know when I get it done.
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

I'd like to know if there is any reason for upgrade other than 'feel good' factor of having bigger/more expensive brakes. And I'm not saying it is not a valid argument - over the years I did a ton of unnecessary stuff to my cars. I'm just being curious here. And mostly because OE brakes seem to be doing a pretty darn good job in keeping this car in control.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I think its for someone who needs that 99% brake response.... I've driven everything police produced at stupid speeds and these brakes stock are INSANE compared to most It seems the pad compound on the 2011 is the best and if have read things right the later ones are less prone to brake dust etc because they dont work as well. My 11 will just about put me in the windshield on a good stop from 90+MPH