System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: System updates

Post by smwalker »

Eric, are there are tweaks you can make on the search function on the forum? Searching for some common information on mods has many times lead to this search error:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: fog lights.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

The search feature is probably the most important feature of a forum I have found. This one seems kind of useless to put it bluntly.

Are there any parameters you can adjust? Thanks.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I'll take a look. :)

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I just came back in after a brief out-of-town trip and it looks like, for whatever reason, we are missing 5 days worth of data. Sometime on 1/12 to 1/18 for whatever reason there's a black hole in which pics & posts have been swallowed up into. I'm checking with Robert to see what may have happened here to cause this outage. Please bear with us while we search for the missing info......

Quick update 1745 est 011914 - It definitely was some sort of site glitch. I checked another of my sites that inhabits the same server and it was also glitched as well in the same fashion. Hmmmmm......

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Was this issue related to the "ECHO" you saw on the Mini Chat? just a thought....

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

elc32955 wrote:I just came back in after a brief out-of-town trip and it looks like, for whatever reason, we are missing 5 days worth of data. Sometime on 1/12 to 1/18 for whatever reason there's a black hole in which pics & posts have been swallowed up into. I'm checking with Robert to see what may have happened here to cause this outage. Please bear with us while we search for the missing info......

Quick update 1745 est 011914 - It definitely was some sort of site glitch. I checked another of my sites that inhabits the same server and it was also glitched as well in the same fashion. Hmmmmm......

Thanks
Eric
I lost two posts and a reply to one of those posts...

:(

Are they retrievable?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, bad news. I spoke to Robert this afternoon. He relayed to me that apparently a commercial site operating on the same server as us (a new user of the server) was badly impacted by a worm. Due to the very intrusive and dangerous nature of the infection the server was completely cleaned off & restored from the last backup prior to the new user coming onto the server. In short, the bad news is that we've lost five days of data. The good news is that the infection didn't target systems of our type and there was no compromise of any of our databases, or impact to our users other then the few lost days. This was the first-ever major incident with server issues from this hosting provider and hopefully the last.

I support the decision that was made by the hosting provider to err on the side of caution. It's unfortunate that we had to be the recipient of some civil-war style surgery but it happens once in a while, that's the purpose of incremental backups. Sometimes it's necessary to take the medicine, smile and move on - this is one of those times. I feel very bad for Bill as he had just completed upload of all of his pictures from last year's glitch.

Anyway, that's the story. If anything is operating out of kilter let me know. Maurice, I think the echo on the mini-chat is a separate unrelated issue. That module has always been slightly quirky....

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

#22 - 4/7/2015

Folks,

I spoke with Robert yesterday afternoon, he let me know that he's made a very recent move on servers from his old cloud data center to a new provider. Our system here moved along with the change and he wanted to alert me in case any data loss was noted or any weird issues cropped up. I've just browsed the system and see everything operating as usual along with good response speeds on the forums. If anyone does come across anything please let me know.... And.... YES, the pictures DID survive the transition this time!

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

This is just an administrative update for everyone. Since myself and Bill (aka Navy Lifer) are in and out of pocket a lot due to travel, ongoing events, etc..., we've come to the decision to appoint a third administrator for our system effective as of 5/5/15. Maurice (aka Pursuit) has been asked and has agreed to serve in this capacity. Maurice has been very supportive of the system and has made many contributions to our community. Thanks Maurice for stepping up to the plate in support of your fellow car owners & enthusiasts!

Eric
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Big Ups to Maurice!! Atta Boy
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

#23 - 7/24/2015

Hi everyone!

Just a little update, I've been made aware of a glitch with the board EMAIL system. This is the one that automatically sends you messages that forum threads you're following have been updated, sends out validation EMAIL's to new applicant users, etc etc.... Well, for some reason the EMAIL coming from the system has been defined by one or more of the major providers as SPAM. This does happen from time to time and we're working on getting it resolved. Just be aware that if you're a Google or a Yahoo EMAIL user, you may not see automatic EMAIL from us. AOL is erroring also, but AOL is throwing up SMTP errors and timeouts and timing out messages. They're quirky to start with but a lot of people (myself included... yeah, I know I'm seriously dating myself) still use AOL email.

Anyway, apologize for any impact this has - the issue is being worked and the admins are aware of the problem. If you need a password reset and don't get a message back from the system, please contact me directly via my EMAIL ("elc32955@aol.com").

Thanks
Eric