Fog Lamps - more kits being ordered, who's in?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Fog Lamps - more kits being ordered, who's in?

Post by Navy Lifer »

As part of a combined order, at least one PPV owner is buying C.P.'s kit. As a matter of efficiency and controlling costs of anything coming out of Australia, if it's possible to put a package together that takes maximum advantage of the limits in size and weight, shipping becomes cheaper--enough so that it would still be less expensive to ship multiple items to one location and then pay for re-shipping to individual US locations for each buyer's purchase(s).

C.P. does have some trusted agents here already--long-time GTO or G8 owners--and he does pre-position some items periodically. The PPV community is so small at this point that it's not really viable to create a new stocking point for PPV-only items....perhaps in time.

In the meantime, if you have been deciding whether you want to get on the Foglamp "wagon", speak up, let me know, or contact C.P. directly. This is not a sales push as much as it is a suggestion to put together a larger order that would save everyone involved some overall cost. There are plenty of other things C.P. offers that you may want, too--same rule applies, whether small trim/badging items, or bigger things.

By my count, we've got 12 PPV owners registered here, and I'm aware of 5 lamp kits in owner's hands so far, and one more planning to buy the kit. I do understand that not everyone intends to have the foglamps, and that's entirely their preference--no judgment here....just putting a thought into words on screen.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Fog Lamps - more kits being ordered, who's in?

Post by elc32955 »

What's the cost on the kit shipped, and is it complete or do we have to hunt some things down independently?
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I am interested, but I would need more details about the kit and how it works. Like what is involved in installation? Does the bumper cover need to be removed to complete the installation? What if I want to upgrade to the G8 switch? Is the wiring already compatible or do I need to cut/hack stuff?
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, I sent you an e-mail with background from Steven Harbour's install, including pictures. Should help - maybe Steven could do a condensed version of his documentation and make it a Tech Article, along with comments from others who have also done the install.
gregc

Post by gregc »

storm9c1 wrote:I am interested, but I would need more details about the kit and how it works. Like what is involved in installation? Does the bumper cover need to be removed to complete the installation? What if I want to upgrade to the G8 switch? Is the wiring already compatible or do I need to cut/hack stuff?
Steve could better explain than I can. But no you don't have to remove the bumper cover. You could remove the panel that's attached to the bumper cover so you can run the harness underneath the bumper cover for better access. As far as the new harness, I repinned the purple wire to the second position, then I unplugged the harness for the sidemarker lamps and plugged it into where it is located. It's on the passenger side. You could see it when you remove the passenger side fog panel. The side marker lamp socket is the same as the socket on the new harness. I may just add the pins to the side marker lamp socket later on so my sidemarker lamps are functional, but right now this will do. I found a bunch of left over hardware underneath my bumper cover extension from when they removed the upfitment stuff. As far as the G8 switch, I don't think it's a simple plug and play. I believe the wiring for the fog lamp switch is absent in our cars. When you plug in the harness into the sidemarker receptacle, the fogs only turn on when the parking lamps or headlight are on. There's no way to turn off the fogs with the headlights off without doing more modification.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I will talk to my dealer tech about fog lamp function and the BCM interface--just like the remote start function requiring a BCM software code patch to make it functional, the fog lamps may be the same--on top of the wiring additions needed, since PPV had no fogs. We would almost need to get the wiring schematic of a WM Holden to be sure, but I do have the info for G8, and I doubt that there's anything different, other than possibly the BCM itself, but the BCM in the PPV is used on a wide range of GM vehicles.

What would be ideal would be getting a G8 harness and figuring out how to duplicate it (including the wiring to the dash control) to make it fully "factory" in all respects.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

If it's not too late, count me in.
I gotta get those fog lights!
Dennis

2011 Caprice PPV
2008 Mustang GT (wife's daily driver)
2007 C/V P-71
2006 F-350
1999 H-D FXWDG
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Dennis, it's never too late--just send a PM or e-mail to C.P. and he'll give you instructions on what to do.

viewforum.php?f=23