Acceptable emergency equipment to leave/use on your Caprice

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
elc32955
System Manager

Acceptable emergency equipment to leave/use on your Caprice

Post by elc32955 »

OK, moved from the 2014 SS discussion.....

On my car this is what I'm going to activate or leave operational...

Factory rear trunk lid LED flashers.... converted the red/blue out to two ambers. Operational. I need to install a switch so I can kill the lights on demand, every time the trunk opens the way the system is configured the lights turn on right now. Switches from the trunk latch. I usually just pull the fuse to cut the circuit off.

Factory rear brake light/reverse light flashers. Operational, just have to connect to a switch.

Factory front headlight flashers. Non-op, have no plans to reactivate those.

Upfitted under-hood siren speaker - Works. I'm eventually going to put a airhorn only amplifier in the trunk, power the amp from the police power center to where it turns on anytime ignition power is engaged. Two conductors to the speaker, a zip cord pair to a small push button next to the shifter. Bingo, instant 100-watt electronic horn.

That's it as far as any of the options I'm going to mess with. No forward flashing lights, no PA or siren tones through the speaker. Since I'm an active volunteer right now with our local Amateur Radio emergency communications group, from time to time we do provide services at events, during hurricanes, etc... and I could probably use the rear lighting for safety if I have to provide comm somewhere on the side of a busy road. Plus, for car shows it would also work and not be much current draw. I've been to too many law enforcement funerals where they were hit along the side of the road running full emergency equipment, so my dinky little rear lights aren't going to amount to much.

What equipment is legal to have on your car? Again from the previous thread, it's a grey area. In Florida you can have a spotlight without problem, just don't run a siren, or anything that flashes red or blue to the front. Volunteer firefighters can have a 50-candlepower dash light and use the same while responding to emergencies provided a permit is secured for the light from the chief officer of the fire agency the member is serving. Headlight wig-wags, grey area. Also, it depends on the circumstances you are subject to police contact under and your general conduct. If they get reports of someone in what looks like a unmarked car stopping people and - lo & behold, you're on the side of the road with wigwags running, it's a red flag for the bull. If you're minding your own business and someone with law enforcement walks up and wants to search your car because a whacker is operating in the area, well, that's a whole different ballgame.

Different states treat emergency equipment different ways. In some states volunteers can run full lightbars, in Florida you can't. Some states Blue is a volunteer color, others is Red. Some states volunteers can run sirens, others you can't. Unfortunately there is not a good degree of consistency from state to state, that's why it pays to know the laws in your local jurisdiction.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
leadfart

Re: Acceptable emergency equipment to leave/use on your Capr

Post by leadfart »

None of that is really an issue with my car. It had no upfit equipment on it. The only obvious police equipment was the wiring harness in the passenger floorboard, which I had disconnected and removed, and the trunk leds, which I still have, I just unplugged the harness on the trunk. I will leave them intact. 8-)

Really, my car just looked like an ordinary Holden, except nobody over hear knows what they are. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

I'm on the look out for a center console with an arm rest. Something that could accommodate a CB radio would be perfect. RAM has a product that was supposed to be released last March, but it wasn't due to pending patents.

I'd also like a set of lollipop lights like the old RPO 6J6 lights on my '95. Currently, I don't think this kind of additional lighting is available for our cars ...
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

It's interesting that you mention those lights. I have a set of the red lollypop lights out of a 2001 9C1 W-body Impala, can't remember for the life of me though if they are back deck or inside trunk. Honestly I believe they are back deck lights if I remember correctly. I took them out of the car when I purchased it years ago from the Pekin, IL police department, boxed the set with the harness, and it's been sitting in my garage on a upper storage shelf since around 2005-2006. Couldn't bring myself to ditch a good set of lights.

If you want to talk about those PM me.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
tadow39

Post by tadow39 »

i have a 9C1 and im looking for a center console.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just to clarify on your last, do you want an after-market center console that you can mount radios, computers, etc.... to, or do you want to do the 9C3 production center console conversion? I've seen a number of the public safety consoles being sold on EBAY recently that would probably work.
bnsfBO

Post by bnsfBO »

Would you know where to get a 9c3 center console? Im slowly dying without good cupholders and a place for my arm!
2011 9C1 Charcoal Grey--
Chris White programmed Radio
2012 Camaro SS 20's Nitto Invo tires
toyguy5538

Post by toyguy5538 »

I think the 9C3 center console is the same as a Pontiac G8, and there are several available in salvage yards. Use Car-Part.com and search for them in your area. I think you'll need to change the shifter mechanism also, and maybe the cable if it's a different length.
toyguy5538

Post by toyguy5538 »

As for an aftermarket console, I found this one at the local flea market for $5.00. I've also seen them on eBay for about $50.00. It fits pretty good on the 9C1 console with a 2x10 spacer under the box and two-sided tape.
Attachments
Back Seat Right S.JPG
Back Seat Right S.JPG (34.61 KiB) Viewed 20954 times
Front Seats Left S.JPG
Front Seats Left S.JPG (45.95 KiB) Viewed 20954 times
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

^^^^

That is the Clutter Catcher and you can get them at Wally World for like $30. They are manufactured in the USA right here in Arlington Texas.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minivan-Console-Grey/16817488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://tsiproducts.com/dotnetnuke/Conso ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;