Anyone else use the Camaro console?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Bill.kurman

Re: Anyone else use the Camaro console?

Post by Bill.kurman »

It’s not really hard at all as long as you got a steady cutting hand common sense and maybe a tape measurer it literally took me like 30 minutes to install and its actually my car in the pics on the ipf website
Ctuck21

Post by Ctuck21 »

Bill.kurman wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:02 pm It’s not really hard at all as long as you got a steady cutting hand common sense and maybe a tape measurer it literally took me like 30 minutes to install and its actually my car in the pics on the ipf website
What tool did you use to cut the console cleanly? Dremel and a cutting wheel?
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon
Bill.kurman

Post by Bill.kurman »

Milwaukee m12 sawsall with one of those small blades that looks like a jigsaw blade essentially it’s like 2 or 3in long 1/2in high than clean up the edges with a razor blade or alittle sand paper
Ctuck21

Post by Ctuck21 »

Bill.kurman wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:31 pm Milwaukee m12 sawsall with one of those small blades that looks like a jigsaw blade essentially it’s like 2 or 3in long 1/2in high than clean up the edges with a razor blade or alittle sand paper
Awesome thanks. Waiting on the shifter bezel to come in and then will be tackling this project. Hoping it’s as easy as it seems/looks.
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

Ctuck21 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:29 am Awesome thanks. Waiting on the shifter bezel to come in and then will be tackling this project. Hoping it’s as easy as it seems/looks.
Just an FYI, the IPF brackets didn't work for me with also installing the Camaro shifter in the console, they hold it up a little too high. However once you get the shifter bolted in, it hold the console in place pretty good with the back wedged in to the caprice brackets on the transmission tunnel. I took a spot weld removal bit to the junk yard and cut the rear bracket for the console off the transmission tunnel of a Camaro, and when I get ready to fab up a mount for the e brake I'll weld it in too, but in the mean time it feels solid and doesn't move around really. One difference that could affect that though is that I didn't cut the front off my console, I cut the dash out so the full length console would fit, and there were 2 screws mounting points on the center dash brace that lined up almost perfectly with 2 screw locations on the front of the console, so I have it attached there.
I got the idea to do it this way when I was at the junkyard getting a Camaro console and I realized that this is how they are, although their dash comes dow a little lower on the sides to hide the structure better. I love it because I have the cubby on the front (if only the cubby light were functional on the caprice, is that something I can activate through SPS?), and I just rewired the cig lighter to the Camaro one in the bezel.
Attachments
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 925 times
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (1020.43 KiB) Viewed 925 times
2015 Caprice 6.0
x_Celestia

Post by x_Celestia »

DapperDanMan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:31 am
Ctuck21 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:29 am Awesome thanks. Waiting on the shifter bezel to come in and then will be tackling this project. Hoping it’s as easy as it seems/looks.
Just an FYI, the IPF brackets didn't work for me with also installing the Camaro shifter in the console, they hold it up a little too high. However once you get the shifter bolted in, it hold the console in place pretty good with the back wedged in to the caprice brackets on the transmission tunnel. I took a spot weld removal bit to the junk yard and cut the rear bracket for the console off the transmission tunnel of a Camaro, and when I get ready to fab up a mount for the e brake I'll weld it in too, but in the mean time it feels solid and doesn't move around really. One difference that could affect that though is that I didn't cut the front off my console, I cut the dash out so the full length console would fit, and there were 2 screws mounting points on the center dash brace that lined up almost perfectly with 2 screw locations on the front of the console, so I have it attached there.
I got the idea to do it this way when I was at the junkyard getting a Camaro console and I realized that this is how they are, although their dash comes dow a little lower on the sides to hide the structure better. I love it because I have the cubby on the front (if only the cubby light were functional on the caprice, is that something I can activate through SPS?), and I just rewired the cig lighter to the Camaro one in the bezel.
How's the interface on the dashboard? Hard to tell from the pictures but is the side really rough? I'm doing a WN or VF dashboard in my VE at some point and will probably go with a Camaro console for a few reasons.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I am getting ready to do the Camaro console myself. Pulled a console from a 2012 base model Camaro in the junkyard yesterday. They also had another one with the performance gauges. That would be cool but a royal pain to get it to work. I noticed the rear bracket on the Camaro is welded to the body so I didn't remove it. I will fab something up myself. The shifter has studs that go down under the car so I was not able to remove that either. I am fine with the column shift. I also ordered the cubbys for the shifter opening and parking brake opening from IPF. I could not find any 3d plans on the internet to print them myself. I am curious on the transition in the front to the dash. I see some have cut the Camaro console and stick on top and others have ran the Camaro console up under the dash more. Anybody want to share more detailed pics of that transition? I am going to see what looks better and try and fab it up a few different ways. I would prefer to run the Camaro console up further under the dash rather then cut and place on top of the current end transition piece. I am also undecided on what to do with the traction control button. I will wire up the 12v power outlets but not sure if I have any use for the momentary switch of the traction control. Maybe wire it into the surveillance mode. IDK yet.

I also still need to clean the console up. It was filthy. I will probably paint the silver trim ring a matte/satin black and re-dye the rest of the plastic back to black to get the fade out. It needs a little work. Fix a broken tab, order some of the missing white plastic retainer clips. Etc. Also found a red light ticket in there from the previous owner. Guess that explains why it was totaled! :lol:
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

A few things.... Look for a 2010-2015 automatic camaro without the gauges. The manual camaros have a shift pattern on the shifter bezel. On eBay and Amazon there are black covers you can buy to stick on the silver shifter bezel. I purchased the shifter cubby and parking brake cubby from IPF racing. You will need to trim the front of the console, each side trim piece, and the shifter bezel. I see some people just cut straight across. I ran mine down so the shifter bezel curves down and meets the bottom of the dash trim. You will need to remove the parking brake. I mounted the rear of the console using the Caprice factory mount. There are two mounts that come up in the rear. I bent them into the camaro console then drilled and tapped the console. I ran a bolt through the bracket and into the console on each side. On the front of the console I screwed it down into the dash trim. I painted the traction control switch and power port cover black. I wired up both power ports but did not use the switch. No need for it at this time.

Also our dash is all one giant piece. You would need to swap out the entire one piece dash panel to run a SS console or use the IPF adapters to our existing dash.

I did not cut my dash to do the Camaro console. You can't take the dash out so you only get one shot if you want to run the console all the way up under. I didn't feel comfortable cutting the dash because if I screw up cutting the console I run to the junkyard and grab another. If I screw up the dash I either live with it or gut the interior and find a replacement to swap out. Wife says it looks factory so it passes the wife approval factor. Lol
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....