Tunning options after DOD delete?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
C5Diaz

Tunning options after DOD delete?

Post by C5Diaz »

Hello Everyone, im looking for the best tunnning option after doing a DOD delete. I need to pass a california smog to register the vehicle. I performed the delete myself using the following parts:

LS3 cam (12623063)
GM headgasket set
felpro timing cover set
pushrods stock melling
valley cover with orings
OIl passage plugs
Arp head bolts
Cam bolt (stock)
ARP Harmanic balacer bolt
LS7 lifters

Thanks in advance looking forward to driving this car.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Tunning options after DOD delete?

Post by Pursuit »

I use HPTuners as an interface and I used Chris Henry Motorsports for the tuning. Chris is on the forum here and has a lot of experience with the G8's, Caprices and SS's. Great guy to work with.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I am not sure you are going to be able to pass CA Smog honestly. I used Chris Henry as well. He did a fantastic job. https://www.facebook.com/CHenryMotorsports/

However when you edit the ECM to tune for the DOD delete it causes the checksum (CVN) to change in the ECM. (Any edit in the ECM will change that checksum that CA will be looking for and fail you on.) Rumor on the forums has it that some people have passed with a modified ECM. Maybe California Smog doesn't have enough data on these cars to have a particular CVN benchmark that they are looking to compare against. I don't know. Try it as see. If you pass smog with a tune please let me know. I am curious about this.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
C5Diaz

Post by C5Diaz »

Yeah I will keep everyone updated on my progress. I still need to get it registerd and plates issued. I Bought the car from a police auction and all I have is the title (washington state) and current registration.
2013 Caprice PPV
2005 silverado
2000 Corvette
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

We have discussed it a bit in this thread: https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... 847#p37847

The conclusion seems to be ALL GM AFM engines that have a tune to turn off the DOD seem to pass SMOG OK. When you start getting into a tune that may change the fuel mapping and turning off monitor reporting is when you start failing. As long as you can still complete all the factory monitors and do not produce a check engine light then you should be good to go. I imagine most Tuners know how far they can go on a CA car by now. It's been 2 years since they have been looking for tunes.

But the conclusion seems to be all GM AFM engines seem to be getting a pass from the CVN value check during a CA SMOG Check.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
C5Diaz

Post by C5Diaz »

thanks for the clarification, now i just need to decide if I should go with a blackbear tune or buy a HP tunner and try it myself or get a remote tune from some one.
2013 Caprice PPV
2005 silverado
2000 Corvette