SS Thefts are off the charts

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
SSpeedracer

SS Thefts are off the charts

Post by SSpeedracer »

There are currently 25 theft recovery stripped SS's on the major online auctions. 23 are California cars. Sacramento, Oakland, Los Angeles SS's are being heavily targeted. Organized crime network.

This is a good summary: https://www.maverickmancarbon.com/blogs ... everywhere

Some in the SS community are suspect of the Caprice community.
2016 Caprice
NewToMe2013PPV

Re: SS Thefts are off the charts

Post by NewToMe2013PPV »

Scumbags…the penalties clearly aren't stiff enough. The Kiaboyz are still going strong too. Maybe I'll get an airtag for my car…it's always in the driveway.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Airtags are pretty much useless now as phones will alert you that there is one following you and you can make it beep to find it. There are also apps that do that.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

A thief took 7 minutes to steal my 2002 Suburban. Police didn't even want the security video. The suburban was recovered a year later completely stripped down to the shell.

Since then I have a combination of kill switch, steering or pedal lock, and GPS tracker on all my cars.

I would have added IED's and venomous snakes but my children will occasionally borrow a car.
2016 Caprice
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If we had the cooperation of GM or GM dealer(s) in stopping this horse hockey the phrase "BAIT CAR" comes to mind... On command from Law Enforcement, 1) Doors are locked with all controls locked out. 2) Windows are rolled up with no interior control. 3) Fuel pressure either goes to zero or a 1 MPH speed limiter gets engaged. 4) Car alarm activates with no time-out.

You can do all sorts of fun things with Telematics!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
NewToMe2013PPV

Post by NewToMe2013PPV »

Mooseman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 pm Airtags are pretty much useless now as phones will alert you that there is one following you and you can make it beep to find it. There are also apps that do that.
I was looking at the MavTag so I could hide it under the car really well and also remove the speaker from the airtag so it doesn't make sound.

https://www.maverickmancarbon.com/produ ... 6265209954

and probably a hidden kill switch too.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

There is probably an organized ring of thieves in California and Texas that have figured out you punch out the window or sunroof, climb in, program a new keyfob, push start button, and drive away. Fortunately the Caprice still uses a key which makes things harder, is pretty stripped down, and also the L77 is not as valuable as the LS3. My theft deterrent is the Malibu emblem on the rear. LMAO
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....