2013 TR6060 Swap in Progress: Shifter Location Issue

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
BigMike0147

2013 TR6060 Swap in Progress: Shifter Location Issue

Post by BigMike0147 »

Hi all. I'm hoping to get some insight from some of the guys that have done a manual swap in their 2011-13 cars. I've tried researching caprice and G8 swaps, but I'm not finding a lot of information on shifter placement. A lot of people don't appear to have my same issue, but it's hard to be certain.

My swap is utilizing a 2010 Camaro TR6060 with an MGW shifter. Last night was the first night trying to lift the shifter into place after attaching the transmission to the engine. I expected that the shifter would sit further back due to the transmission being potentially longer (maybe?) than the G8. However, my shifter is about 2" too far back, and this is causing it to sandwich in the tunnel when lifting the trans into place. Has anyone else experienced this? When researching the swap, At one point, I did stumble across one person who discussed modifying the shifter rod/arms to make it work better, but of course, I can't find that link now. I'm currently 3D printing a prototype for a modified side arm now to see if that's an option. However, if there is something I'm missing on why this may be sitting far back, I'd love to hear an easier solution. The shifters current location is not feasible as it puts the shifter too far back for everything in the console.

Thanks in advance for any firsthand experience or leads.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: 2013 TR6060 Swap in Progress: Shifter Location Issue

Post by Pursuit »

Maybe this will help...

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... 060#p33294

I just searched Camaro TR6060. There are other links also.

Regards,
Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
BigMike0147

Re: 2013 TR6060 Swap in Progress: Shifter Location Issue

Post by BigMike0147 »

Thanks Maurice. This one is a little different being that they used a sequential shifter in a 14-17 chassis. However, I think I determined what I want to do with this shifter. I was able to 3D print prototypes of shorter arms for the MGW shifter to see what length should be perfect for the spacing. As far as I can see, 0.75-0.875" should put my shifter pretty centered and allow me to use the dust boot for the shifter in the correct location.

I'm attaching a couple of photos to illustrate what I mean. With the factory arms, the rear mounting holes in the body my have been possible to elongate, but the body of the shifter was hitting the tunnel. With this placement, things are much more centered. Please ignore the masking tape around the arm body. MGW recommends use of Dynamat on the linkage to limit vibration and it's a mess to handle.

So the plan is now to cut these arms (buying some as backup) and weld them shorter. I'll have to do the same for the central linkage as well. So this may not be the solution that works well for everyone, but hopefully it can work out.
Attachments
CAD for shortened linkage
CAD for shortened linkage
Shorter MGW Shifter Arm CAD.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 611 times
0.875" shorter arms
0.875" shorter arms
Final shifter mockup.jpg (3.91 MiB) Viewed 611 times
Factory shifter arm
Factory shifter arm
shifter arm.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 611 times