WILD few days here on New Caprice!!

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

WILD few days here on New Caprice!!

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

Well, we are back... again... after two rounds of significant system issues over five days. Just a quick summary of where we are right now....

On Monday evening our web host upgraded to a new shared webserver. We run on a shared server with multiple other entities both commercial, not-for-profit, and private business. This alleviated the performance lagging we have seen for several months now. However, due to a conflict in the PHP operating system versions, this left us unable to post on the network and also presented some noticeable formatting issues. This problem was fixed on Tuesday afternoon and we were back in service, however some immediate upgrades were needed to our operating software. I contracted the same developer that worked on the system 5 years ago to handle the upgrades.

Wednesday morning the developer downed the system and applied the upgrades. The upgrades took.... but we had issues bringing the system back in service. This issue, despite the best efforts of both our developer and our web host continued to kick our collective round heinies from Wednesday PM to roughly 3 PM on Friday. So, in the interests of having a running system over the holidays we reverted the system via backup to the time period right after the server upgrade took place on Tuesday. We lost a total of about 18 hours of posts & activity, but we again have a functioning network so it's a bit of a bitter pill I had to swallow for the good of the system.

Now the downside to all of this is that we still have system upgrades that have to happen fairly soon. This will mean another outage period in which we will try the upgrades again, hopefully this time with success. The holidays give us time to do a post-event analysis to try to figure out just what the blazes happened, as these severe errors normally do not occur on PHPbb system upgrades as a rule. Only thing I can tell you is that we will attempt to execute the next round of upgrades in as little time as possible - but there will be more downtime involved.

More on this when the dust settles.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Re: WILD few days here on New Caprice!!

Post by s/c'd cav »

thank you !!! we appreciate all the work that goes into keeping the site alive !!!

i almost thought my work blocked the webiste , lol

merry christmas , and happy holidays !!
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi Eric,

I echo s/c'd cav comments. Many thanks to you for all the effort you put into this website. I''m sure that it takes much more of your time than any of us realize.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Many thanks for the hard work keeping the system afloat. It's been an invaluable source of info and help.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Thanks for letting us know what happened. Thanks for all the effort! It's good to see it working again.
Joe