Caprice PPV New Jasper Crate Engine & Transmission+Dyno #'s

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
ejf2461

Caprice PPV New Jasper Crate Engine & Transmission+Dyno #'s

Post by ejf2461 »

About 18 months ago I purchased (3) 2013 Police Caprice PPV's from our local Sheriff. They were all tired and driven hard..not to mention repaired by not so skilled techs. The first one that I got back from the paint shop had a ticking lifter and a check engine light. I found a local garage and he ordered a Jasper 6.0L with DOD Delete already installed and a Jasper Reman 6L80E transmission. The shop removed the old eng & trans really quick and after installing the new ones added a VCM OTR Ram Air Intake and Solo Cat Back Exhaust with Dual Tips. I had to get a new complete driveshaft from end to end because my rubber grommits/bushings/yokes were wore and he couldn't find a replacement. After picking up the car I got less than a mile away from the shop and the check engine light came on. The car hiccups under wide open throttle for a second and then shifts. I had a new 2013 Caprice PPV in 2013 and it didnt seem much fast especially with the shift issue. After learning that he has someone else do his tunes I decided to take it somewhere elese. I was referred to Norris Motorsports in Plainfield IN. Shortly after I dropped my car and was surpise to learn that a bone stock L77 Caprice puts down 280-290 RWHP 355hp at the motor. They said its about 20% drivetrain loss. We also are 720 feet above sea level in Indianapolis. I had seen a bunch of videos of guys having a dyno brought to the house on a pickup truck and putting down 320-350hp to the wheels stock and I can tell you that I wouldn't believe it! Jasper said in their test the their L76 & L77 with DOD delete has 53hp over stock. Well the first dyno pull was 313hp & 333tor and several tunes and runs cleaning the fuel curves, timing and the tranny we ended with a whopping 333hp & 355 tor. Now this is with 87 octane Speedway Gas. The engine is bone stock with dod delete installed. The engine sounds great with the exhaust.The shifting is alot better but still has a small hiccup under wide open throttle shifting. If you know what I paid for the Engine, Trans, DriveShift, Rami Air & Exhaust you would passout. The next one is getting a LS3 crate engine and a GM Perfomance 6L80E. I wanted to get the LS3 with a Hot Cam 495hp from GM but the tuner said the cam they use isn't very streetable. He will install and better BTR cam, trunion, better springs. Let hope in the end we see some more power. Also this one is getting Kooks Headers, Solo Cats & Exhaust and the same Ram Air System. They are also gonna do a Camaro SS 3.45 rear diff swap. Lets hope for some better numbers. The LS3 with the cam install, full exhaust, driveshiaft, ram air and Camaro diff will be a couple thousand cheaper than what this build cost. The Jasper engine will probally end up getting a cam swap, headers, cats and probally do the camaro diff and Chevy SS Brakes Upgrade. The 2.92 rear engine is great for top speed but not the best getting this 4200lb limo moving. I also got to show you guys pics of the stereo system I put in this turd!
Photos-001 (1).zip
(18.6 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
Photos-001 (2).zip
(11.88 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
bstoner

Re: Caprice PPV New Jasper Crate Engine & Transmission+Dyno #'s

Post by bstoner »

Thanks for sharing. I have a few questions for you. What made you decide to go with a Jasper crate engine/trans setup verse just doing a cam install? I know Jasper DOD delete is CA approved so was that a factor? Also how much was it? Did you end up selling two of the three PPVs? I did heads, cam, intake, exhaust, rear end, and torque converter and I think I am in it for around $6k. I did all my labor. That is parts only. Some things I splurged on. Built the diff to handle forced induction. Went 2" coated headers and 3" exhaust. Heads were budget but splurged on new valves to handle boost better. The 3.45 is awsome for acceleration. Its a little more expensive because it is more rare. Only on the manual SS. The 3.27 is cheaper and easier to find. I recommend the 3.45 if most city driving and 3.27 if mostly highway driving. Curious why you are going with crate engines verse rebuild or top only rebuilds. My block has almost 200k and the bearings and cylinder walls looked great. Lifters were trash. Springs wore out. Valves had a lot of pitting so I replaced them and did a valve and port job. I have the BTR LS3 N/A Stage 2 cam. I like it. The power is great. Wish it had less lope at idle. Makes it hard to be a sleeper with the thump thump thump at idle. LOL.

For these cars on a budget I recommend a used 3.27 diff from a camaro. New LSA Camaro/CTSV converter. Heads/cam/intake/exhaust and you got a fantasic ride that is night and day difference. With my build I can walk a Challenger/Charger R/T. I want to race a Scat Pack with the 392. Be curious how that would go.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

I have all 3 Caprices still...They are also still being used as police cars so I had to make them streetable. The crate motors were chosen because they were easy, already had the DOD delete which is what ruins these engines and had a 3yr/unlimited mile warranty. I thought if DOD delete adds 50hp, Exhaust and Ram Air maybe another 20-25hp and they are already really fast stock..so I figured it would be enough.The orignal quote was $17.5K new engine & trans with dod delete and warranty installed and tuned. My Bill on the first one was $21.5k because the Ram Air was $500, Exhaust $1500 Entire GM Driveshaft from 1 end to the other end $1000 and other misc items. Unless you wrench yourself it almost cheaper to buy a $7k new LS3 with a warranty. The stock LS3 is the LS430 and has no DOD. 3yrs/Unlimited Mile Warranty at any GM Dealer. The L77 is worth good money used too. I learned alot from this first build and wouldn't do another Jasper Engine or Transmission. LS3 even stock is the way to go 75 more HP, No DOD and it NEW you are gonna have tune it anyway so staying stock has no benefit.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing. If you are having trouble finding a local tuner I highly recommend Chris Henry. He did a great job tuning mine remotely with HP Tuners.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Groundczero

Post by Groundczero »

When you see Norris tell him the people in FL miss him. He use to do all my tuning very reputable guy.