Headliner repair?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
CrashTestDummy

Headliner repair?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

While heading to the pharmacy to pick up a 'script for my bride, I noticed that the leading edge of the headliner is coming loose. I was busy with that task, so didn't do a thorough analysis when I got home, but am HOPING it's just the leading edge. I'll know better later on, maybe this weekend when I get time in the car again.

So if it is just the leading edge, can I just clean the foam off the material and backer board and reattach the cloth with 3M weather strip adhesive? What have others done? Any idea what a whole headliner replacement job runs for these cars? Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Sanford

Re: Headliner repair?

Post by Sanford »

Once the foam starts to go, the headliner is pretty much done. I pulled the fabric off of all of mine and then vacuumed the gummy/sticky foam backing off of the backing. Haven’t had the motivation to pull the backing out of the car and recovering it.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, I know that. Been there, done that sort of thing. Didn't know if things had improved any from the '90's. I attempted a recover ONCE. It was on our 1983 Impala F41. I vowed then I'd never do that again. Friends did that sort of work then, and did really good work, so I left it up to them. I'd tune their carbs, they'd do my headliner. :lol:

Looking around, I can't imagine how they'd get the driver's side A-pillar off to drop the panel, with the spotlight in the way.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Yeah Gene, I went to a couple auto upholstery shops in the area and got ridiculous quotes (around $1,200 and up) they would tell me how they never did a PPV and it would be complicated. So I just put up with a floppy headliner couple more months and for the He'll of it I went to a furniture upholstery shop I've used before. The old time owner said go in back and talk to Javier, he does car upholstery on the weekends. So I scheduled bringing in my car on a Saturday after he recieved the fabric he ordered for me. I show up at the end of the day and I now have a brand new headliner for under $400 . I couldn't be happier with the job, he said he scrapped and removed all the old deteriorated glue and material. He said he used a steam machine and the best adhesive available. I'll stick with mechanical issues and just pay someone to do stuff I have no patience for lol.:) :)
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I don't remember what it was 'back in the day', but was easily something a college student working two jobs could afford, so I had friends do it. I may have also gotten a 'friend' deal, but who knows. The work was top notch. It's just peeling off the leading edge of the backer at the top of the windshield. I've seriously thought of taking some 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive and running a bead across the front of the backer board and cloth and sticking it back in place.

But anything more than that, yes, indeed, I have no patience for.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?