Only one tire mark during burnout

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
shr3ddymurphy

Only one tire mark during burnout

Post by shr3ddymurphy »

Hello,

Had my caprice now for a few months (v8 from factory) and for daily driving its been great, but when I try doing burnouts and donuts its only spinning the rear right wheel. I’m a thirdgen camaro owner and bought the caprice to enjoy some of the same kind of driving while still being able to haul a kid around.

I make sure stabilitrak is turned off and I even had a diff flush done but still only one wheel spins.

Is this expected behavior for the caprice?
Would a replacement caprice diff be posi?
Any input appreciated!

(If I can’t get posi with caprice parts, I’ll be exploring camaro cradle + diff swap.)
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Only one tire mark during burnout

Post by elc32955 »

Did you check your SPID label to see if you car was provisioned with a posi? It was an option until 2017, that year they became standard. You could just have an open rear-end currently. If you don't see a code "G80" on your SPID that will tell the tale....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
shr3ddymurphy

Post by shr3ddymurphy »

Thanks for the reply, Eric. I looked at the SPID label and was able to locate G80 code. However, I’m the third owner of the vehicle so its possible maybe diff was swapped at some point.

I’m seeing some cheap G8 2.92 LSD (posi) diffs in my local FB marketplace search. I’ll grab one and throw it on and report back. (Trying everything I can before going w/ Camaro rear end because that will require more money and a re-tune from what I heard).
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If you're going to go to the trouble of a diff change, I strongly suggest a 3.45 ratio. Camaro SS manual 2012-2015 is what I'd look for. There are many diff threads with plenty of pics & the correct part numbers on here. You only lose about 1-2 mph of top end speed and pick up a much greater level of responsiveness. This ratio is what the 6.0 Police Caprice was SUPPOSED to have originally off the design table before Cafe standards and the GM bean counters became involved.

Note that this would require a trip on HP tuners to correct your speedo - I'd also suggest a transmission tune from Chris Henry. I did this on my 2011 and... well.... it's documented in the old threads on the gains I got. Remember, if you can help it you only want to do this once.

Whatever your decision is, good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.