Low oil pressure

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Grandstaff

Low oil pressure

Post by Grandstaff »

Just finished my dod delete using stage 3 tsp ls3 camshaft and kept my stock oil pump and the o-ring was fine. I started it up for a second a few times to build oil pressure and get everything oiled properly, but the low oil pressure light keeps coming up. Do I just need to keep letting it run for a second to build oil pressure? The oil pump was just fine and the inside was perfect no issues.
Mooseman

Re: Low oil pressure

Post by Mooseman »

Did you block off the bypass in the oil pan? Did you replace the DOD valley cover with one that blocks off the lifter oil towers?

And a dumb question, is the pressure sensor plugged in? Try a new sensor? Is the engine noisy? I'd connect an analog gauge to see actual pressure.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Mooseman wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:07 am Did you block off the bypass in the oil pan? Did you replace the DOD valley cover with one that blocks off the lifter oil towers?

And a dumb question, is the pressure sensor plugged in? Try a new sensor? Is the engine noisy? I'd connect an analog gauge to see actual pressure.
And if you replace the sensor, there's a screen in the port for that sensor that sometimes gets gummed up. Carefully pull it, clean it and reinstall it before you install the new sensor.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Grandstaff

Post by Grandstaff »

Mooseman wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:07 am Did you block off the bypass in the oil pan? Did you replace the DOD valley cover with one that blocks off the lifter oil towers?

I found the issue, I made such a silly mistake. The new valley plate I got didn't have the oil pressure sensor port drilled out and left that up to the user if they needed to, so once I drilled that out it worked just fine.