And it commences.

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
EmpireState9c1

And it commences.

Post by EmpireState9c1 »

My journey has begun lol. I had to daily the car for approximately 2 weeks while my 04 trailblazer got a new gearbox. Steering feels.. odd? If stopped, and I keep keep it TDC? I can "steer" the wheel left 4 inches, let go and it'll become a partial perpetual motion machine back and forth for about 15 seconds before stopping. The car died at work one time, I got a fuel pump code. Looked into it, removed seat and banged on car. Car starts and I go home. New harness I gather. I still have to figure out the airbag situation, and the traction control situation. Would an MDI 2 and associated software be in my near future? Is there a better option? When I actively drove my S60R, the volvo suite was indispensable.
Attachments
20230710_181229.jpg
20230710_181229.jpg (6.56 MiB) Viewed 994 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: And it commences.

Post by elc32955 »

Be aware on these cars that the in-tank pump can & has failed on people in the past, if it fails unless you want to use a lift and physically drop the gas tank you can get to it from the rear floor pan area.... if you're not squeamish about sawing a hole in the pan. RCG630 had to did that and there's videos up on how he did his. Pretty disappointing of Holden not to have the foresight to understand that people are NOT into dropping the fuel tank assembly but would rather R&R the pump if needed from the passenger compartment.

One habit to practice is NOT to left your fuel level get so low as to routinely uncover the pump, that seems anecdotally to cause the timer to go into fast mode and speeds up things going south on you..... don't honestly remember if it gacks the pump or just causes the wiring bundle to become a krispy kritter without fuel cooling.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
EmpireState9c1

Post by EmpireState9c1 »

I fully plan on cutting, fabricating and installing a usable access door. I'm a welder by trade so it'll be something completely overdone. As to the code reader, if anyone could chime in on whether the on board suite with an HMI, or an aftermarket reader/tuner such as HP tuners may be a better route for sustainable usage into the far future?
EmpireState9c1

Post by EmpireState9c1 »

elc32955 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:20 pm Pretty disappointing of Holden not to have the foresight to understand that people are NOT into dropping the fuel tank assembly but would rather R&R the pump
My Volvo S60R actually has an access door, and it leaks vapor into the car. So maybe holden was trying to avoid that lol.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

My 2004 V70 T5M had a LOT of fuel problems... mostly caused by inept dealership techs trying to execute the recall service on the fuel pump/tank assembly. It took a 25-year Volvo master tech at an Indy going behind all the carnage they left to get things right again after THREE visits to the dealership and two tows with Capt. Hook back after it would stall out. And yeah, it leaked fumes into the passenger compartment until my guy finally got it sealed correctly behind them, so I get it. Don't think I've heard of a Caprice that had the same issue once everything was closed up again, but it's always possible.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

elc32955 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:20 pm Be aware on these cars that the in-tank pump can & has failed on people in the past, if it fails unless you want to use a lift and physically drop the gas tank you can get to it from the rear floor pan area.... if you're not squeamish about sawing a hole in the pan. RCG630 had to did that and there's videos up on how he did his. Pretty disappointing of Holden not to have the foresight to understand that people are NOT into dropping the fuel tank assembly but would rather R&R the pump if needed from the passenger compartment.

One habit to practice is NOT to left your fuel level get so low as to routinely uncover the pump, that seems anecdotally to cause the timer to go into fast mode and speeds up things going south on you..... don't honestly remember if it gacks the pump or just causes the wiring bundle to become a krispy kritter without fuel cooling.

Good luck!
Eric
Lift, Drop at least the front of the rear suspension cradle and THEN drop the tank is what's required when you're not going in from the passenger compartment. Fill up at no less than 1/4 tank, which really isn't much on these cars anyway. It seems to mostly crispy-critter the wiring if you routinely run it empty.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?