Headers, Coated or raw

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
20139c1

Headers, Coated or raw

Post by 20139c1 »

I just ordered the JBA longtubes for my 2012 9C3.
For those running headers of any type are you running them coated or not?
If not are you having any trouble with under hood heat. I'm trying to decide if these need to go to Jet-Hot before they are installed.
Thanks
Ridgeppv

Re: Headers, Coated or raw

Post by Ridgeppv »

I have set of JBA stainless steel headers on my 2014. I have no issues with it getting hot under the hood. But I also installed a 160-degree thermostat. So, I never see temps at 200 degrees. I would recommend some spark plug wire heat sleeves to protect them if they were to touch the header or anything like that.
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Coated would have been nice but wasn't available to me. There was one shop here that used to do ceramic coatings but no more.

Maybe just one spot it might have been useful is the right front tube. It is very near the A/C muffler (it actually touched it) but I put on some stick on reflective heat shield that seems to work.

If you can get it, go for it. I don't have it and AFAIK, I don't have heat issues. Can't be any worse than the old manifolds.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
20139c1

Post by 20139c1 »

Thanks for the insight. I have always run headers on my cars and never had them coated but all my other rides were older, without so many electronics and such a tight engine bay.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I have 2" coated ARH Headers. I can't tell you if there is a heat difference in not coated vs. uncoated. My engine bay isn't roasting hot but that really doesn't mean anything with far too many variables affecting that.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
PPV Dad

Post by PPV Dad »

Hello,
Saw in this thread a couple of you have JBA headers that u have installed, we are getting ready to install a set as well in a 2013 9c1 and my question is what length 02 sensor wire extensions did you use for the pre cats square plugs and then the after cats flat plugs .
Thank you in advance for your help.
Pat
2013 Chevy Caprice PPV, 9C1, L77, 3” Solo exhaust, Baer 6 piston front calipers, 2nd gen. CTS -V sedan wheels , BMR sway bars and end links
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Just one needs an extension, the front left side. 6 inches is plenty. Both of the rear ones can be connected if you unclip them from their holders. Front right connects right up.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
20139c1

Post by 20139c1 »

I finally got my JBA's on and had my exhaust guy build a 2 1/2" system with an X pipe.
Just the headers and some Magnaflow mufflers, no cats.
I did not put the secondary o2 sensors in.
Added a Rotofab intake at the same time.
The car sounds great and since it is a 9C3 it is a blast to shift it by ear now!

Dropped it off for a tune last Sat and it is now done.
Made 346hp and 366 ft.lbs on 91 gas at the wheels on a Dynojet
and 360hp /380ft.lbs on E85.
Stock 6.0 otherwise
I haven't driven it with the tune yet, I am picking it up tomorrow.