P015D funky exhaust smell

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Car54

P015D funky exhaust smell

Post by Car54 »

I have been getting the bank 2 sensor 1 code on my car. P015D. Just shy of 146,000 miles about 10,000 ish trouble free miles.

Looks to be pre cat on passenger side, a bear to get to with bear paws but whatever.

On top of it my exhaust has been smelling funny since the sensor started to act up.

What are the signs of a cat needing to be replaced??? Besides the car sounding like it’s being suffocated, are the different smells an indicator or them going?

I’ve been using the UNL88 fuel for the past month or two, not sure if this has any relevance to the smell.

I do have an exhaust leak just haven’t found the actual source yet and which side or sides it’s coming from.
JoeR

Re: P015D funky exhaust smell

Post by JoeR »

If the exhaust leak is on the same side as the O2 code, fix that before doing anything else.
That P015D means the O2 sensor failed just 1 of many tests the computer runs on it. In this case, the PCM switches the fuel mixture from lean to rich to see how quickly it responds. If it's too slow, this code sets. It will have no negative effects on that catalyst or exhaust smell. It is possibly caused by an exhaust leak though.
So chase down that leak. You need to fix it anyway. You're probably going to need an O2, but fix your leak first.
Here's a pic of a Caprice setting that same code for the other bank. These are the Mode $06 Test results for that particular test. Notice that the PCM wants the O2 to switch L?R in under .430 Sec, but this car does it in .503. All the other tests pass, but not this one. These are fast-response O2 sensors, so a half second is not quick enough.
70507003.jpg
70507003.jpg (60.44 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
With the mileage on that car, I'd recommend replacing the front O2s in pairs. I also recommend only using OEM O2s, so find some Delco brand O2s to put in there.
Oddly enough, the last tie I saw this code it was on a Silverado, and it was caused by a slightly bent pushrod. The truck ran fine but had valvetrain noise. Replaced the pushrod and the code never returned.
My 2 cents.
Joe
Car54

Post by Car54 »

Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

I will dig into the exhaust leak and finally figure it out.

I’ve had a few GM cars and Denso is what I use and just ordered 2 new o2’s.

I do have a valve train noise and it’s been there since I got the car 10 ish thousand miles ago. Haven’t had any issues.

What you got me concerned is the pushrod… I can work on my cars but motors is not in my wheelhouse yet.

Time to read up more on how to diagnose that.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Don't worry about diagnosing or replacing a bent pushrod. On our engines it is REALLY easy.
Joe
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I would hook up/tape the outlet of a shop vac to the tailpipe and tape off the other tailpipe. Then run your hand around the exhaust, especially at every connection. You will feel the breeze. Replace the front O2 sensors with Denso. Last time I ordered GM OEM sensors they were stamped Denso. Go figure. I tried Bosch but got slow switching OBD codes. They went away after I switched to Denso.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
CapriceX2

Post by CapriceX2 »

bstoner wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:58 am I would hook up/tape the outlet of a shop vac to the tailpipe and tape off the other tailpipe. Then run your hand around the exhaust, especially at every connection. You will feel the breeze. Replace the front O2 sensors with Denso. Last time I ordered GM OEM sensors they were stamped Denso. Go figure. I tried Bosch but got slow switching OBD codes. They went away after I switched to Denso.
I like this idea. This sounds much nicer than rolling around under the car with the engine running while trying not to burn yourself. Plus the shop vac will produce more pressure in the pipes and should make leaks more evident.
I wonder if dropping a couple smoke bombs in the vac would make this even simpler...
CapriceX2
2011 Caprice 9C3 - TSP 220R W/ DOD delete, 10.8:1 Compression, Custom Stainless Exhaust
1995 Caprice Classic Wagon
1996 K2500 6.5L diesel
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

It is simple and works. I had an exhaust leak after my converter install and used this method to find a leaky clamp. I use blue masking tape to block off one outlet and secure the hose on the other so no air leaks back out. Best to look when exhaust is cold verse warmed up when metal will expand and possibly close off the leak. I thought about smoke or Halloween mist but in the end I just run my hand around every joint and you can feel the breeze if you have a leak.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I'm spoiled on this. I've got smoke machines made for finding automotive leaks. I used to work for the guy that invented them. They're really handy for this type of stuff.
Joe
Car54

Post by Car54 »

Ok I’m doing the super expensive dealer only test with a shop vac this Sunday!

I would of never thought of doing this, makes total sense to.

Adding to this, since the O2 tripped the engine light 2 times in a matter of a 100 miles, it has not done it since. Almost 500 miles and not a code stumble or anything.

I guess the stomp on the go pedal tune up kinda works.

Not.. just a matter of time.