taking the IQ radio apart and soldering the 20 pin connector

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
philofab

Re: taking the IQ radio apart and soldering the 20 pin connector

Post by philofab »

Any idea on timeframe? I was going to order a Rover cable and cut it up, hence the need for the diagram. If your going to make cables in the not to distant future I'll just order one from you.
smwalker wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:17 am And Just to update this thread I have been able to source the 20 pin connector and terminals from a company in China that builds the cords. They are sending me just the connectors with no wires attached so I can add my own RCA ends. I asked them if they could make them up for us and they were like sure!! How many thousand would you like to buy?? AHHH I will make my own thanks!! LOL

So I will post them on ebay and as always special pricing through the forums. WIll post up some pics when I get them and build the first one.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

philofab wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 pm Any idea on timeframe? I was going to order a Rover cable and cut it up, hence the need for the diagram. If your going to make cables in the not to distant future I'll just order one from you.
Shipped 11/30 so hopefully around 12/15 I will have them. Shooting for the the $30-$40 price range including shipping. If that helps you in your decision.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
philofab

Post by philofab »

Yea, that's a fair price... and better than buying one from AU.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

smwalker wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:39 pm
philofab wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 pm Any idea on timeframe? I was going to order a Rover cable and cut it up, hence the need for the diagram. If your going to make cables in the not to distant future I'll just order one from you.
Shipped 11/30 so hopefully around 12/15 I will have them. Shooting for the the $30-$40 price range including shipping. If that helps you in your decision.
Steve do you have a website or contact info I can put on our site to get people to you for the cables? Would love to make this easy on everyone; win/win! :)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Let me get some pics of the final product and will put up a page with it and the USB/Aux In kit I offer.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

smwalker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:53 pm Let me get some pics of the final product and will put up a page with it and the USB/Aux In kit I offer.
That would be awesome thank you!! :)
Chris White
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 Escalade V
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

20 Pin IQ Video Input cables are here!!!!

Made up 4 assemblies. Cost is $35 each including shipping - Paypal (Friends and family) or Zelle to PPVSteve@Gmail.com

Waiting on some more RCA cable ends so should be able to make up some more at the beginning of the new year.

IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG (171.55 KiB) Viewed 9451 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

GTPprix wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:04 pm
smwalker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:53 pm Let me get some pics of the final product and will put up a page with it and the USB/Aux In kit I offer.
That would be awesome thank you!! :)
Link to a listing of all items I can make for both WM and WN PPV's:
Media Cables, Harnesses and Connectors

I am trying a different, more sturdy, approach with the 20 pin connector. I am ready to make them if anyone needs them!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

Thats perfect I'll update our items! :)
Chris White
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 Escalade V
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Thanks to a generous board member who donated a silver box to me I was able to do some testing on a product I came across while searching for some part for an electronics project I am working on. I think part of soldering wires to our circuit board is that the dang holes are so small and stick a wire in there and add solder and you soon got a big mess.

The part I found was something called a solder cup. Basically a cup that holds the wire in solder attached to a smaller pin that goes through the circuit board hole and it gets soldered to the board. Advantages are the pin is small so it does not take much heat to get the solder flowing on it. I also found a product that is at a right angle so it easily fits in the space we have between the two circuit boards. Here is the product information:
Mill-Max Solder Tail Pin Header Right Angle - https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/273/ ... 369910.pdf
Mouser has them in small quantities: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/57 ... 0210003000

The product linked above is a 2 cup set. You can buy them in any number of sets and cut them down but you can damage the plastic when you cut them off the strip. So for our radios we would need 2 sets of 2 cups. I would say get an extra few to practice on but they are not cheap.

Here are the two positive leads installed on the board.
Solder cups installed in positive spots
Solder cups installed in positive spots
IMG_1448.JPG (95.01 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
Here are all 4 installed - I got the black wire a bit too hot you see the melting of the insulation. Be quick with the heat!!
4 wires installed
4 wires installed
IMG_1449.JPG (95.78 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
Here is the back - you will notice the grounds circuits are bridged but the positive solder pads have to stay separated. But the grounds can touch no big deal on those.
Rear of board
Rear of board
IMG_1454.JPG (100.29 KiB) Viewed 9113 times

Here are two high quality videos worth of an Oscar for cinematography of the soldering process:

https://youtu.be/LsugKWm7iuQ

https://youtu.be/gaUK_qWTQ3Y

I shot the wires straight out the case opening. But I wonder if it would be better to have them point toward the inside of the case and have the wire loop back towards the case opening. Might be less stress on the joints. I could not really see any way to secure them down to something to keep stress off the solder joints.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White