2011 9C3 Owner

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
LiftdT4R

2011 9C3 Owner

Post by LiftdT4R »

Hey guys, I've been sitting on this Caprice for almost 8 years now and haven't done much to it or driven it but I've kind of been thinking giving it some love and doing some mods before I swap it for something else. It's a 2011 that I bought brand new in 2011. It's a 9C3 Detective model with the full center console and carpet/upholstery. It's only got 45k on the ticker and has always been garage kept. A local Chevy dealer who I've bought other cars and trucks from sold it to me when they first came out. I thought it was very interesting and the SS hadn't come out yet so I picked it up. Since then it's been just a weekend cruiser here and there.

I had a local shop do a tune and intake, they also swapped on the 20" Camaro wheels. They dyno'd it to a lousy 310 WHP. I doubt they tuned it and the Ram air intake sounds great, cleaned up the engine bay, but didn't do too much performance wise. They also did low profile electronic cutouts from DMH that leaked since Day 1. I see they have the old paper gaskets so I may try to swap them out for RTV but I'll likely just do an exhaust instead.

So I guess I'm really wanting to do the DOD delete and a cam to try and get some power out of this car because it just hasn't been the ball of fire I was expecting. A couple questions though:

Can I do the cam and DOD delete with the motor in the car? I don't mind pulling the front clip and radiator just wasn't sure if this was a giant PITA or if it wasn't too bad.

With a mild cam and DOD delete can I get anywhere near 400 WHP? I'm not wanting to mod the trans or converter at all, just looking for a reliable daily driver that pushes more horse than 310 at the wheels.

Also, for the White performance radio unlock do I need the BCM reprogrammed by a dealer or is it as simple as popping the silver box out and re-installing it?

And last but not least here's a pic of my beast:

smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: 2011 9C3 Owner

Post by smwalker »

> for the White performance radio unlock do I need the BCM reprogrammed by a dealer
> or is it as simple as popping the silver box out and re-installing it?

For the radio upgrade just the silver box needs to be sent. Nothing with the BCM.

Looks NIce!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Very nice 9c3.

Can't help you with the cam but I'm sure others have done this on here. check out the engine section for ideas.

And as @smwalker said, just need to send the silver box.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Cam can be done with motor in car. Great looking car, plenty of mild cams out there that can do 400rw. Enjoy!

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm > for the White performance radio unlock do I need the BCM reprogrammed by a dealer
> or is it as simple as popping the silver box out and re-installing it?

For the radio upgrade just the silver box needs to be sent. Nothing with the BCM.

Looks NIce!!
Note that when removing the silver box, be careful on the removal, there's a plastic connector that invariably gets broken when people are removing them from cars, rendering the box almost useless.

DOD can be done in the car, but it is a bit more hassle. Radiator out, but the condenser can be rotated out of the way, if you don't want to hassle with a vacuum and recharge after the work is done. Site search is your friend on that process.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
LiftdT4R

Post by LiftdT4R »

Thanks for the replies guys!! I will be extra careful on the silver box removal. I'll start looking on YouTube this morning before I start.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome to the group! See this link regarding removing the radio/silver box...

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 88099ac5d6

Quite a few people have provided tips and diagrams. That should help with your removal.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
ewinder68

Post by ewinder68 »

I used a 220 227 112+2 ? With bolt ons dynod right at 400whp with my g8 . Doesn't take a big cam to get there! Plenty of companies that make great cams that are stock stall friendly!
LiftdT4R

Post by LiftdT4R »

Thanks so much! I tried to search for a walk through on the CAM / DOD delete but couldn't find a Caprice based one. Do you know of one on here or elsewhere?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

For the cam, spring, lifter, pushrod replacement I would just reference the ls1howto article on LS1 fbody heads/cam install (obviously double check any torque specs). For the DoD specific part replacments like valley cover and the like (regarding the actual parts required and such), G8board probably has some nice info. Hell, I think silversled here even had a fairly nice writeup. Enjoy!

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...