How To - Build your own USB cable for 2011- 2013 PPV's

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: How To - Build your own USB cable

Post by smwalker »

Yea he mentioned that AMP control wire and I tried the spot labeled on the pinout listing but I could not get 12 volt positive or a ground so I do not think that label applies to our units. Most likely the AUS version that had a bose amp option.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

We have mentioned mounting a receptacle in the glove box before but I do not think I have ever seen it done. I added Just a USB power cord charging slot to my glove compartment and the depth of the round GM plug is about the same as the Rectangular one so I figured this might be a good example for anyone wanting to add the USB Plug and AUX receptacle to their glove compartment.

Go to high and you get interference from a bracket as you are removing and inserting the glove box assembly. And you can't go too far back or you hit the dash bar going along side the radio.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I'm going to sticky this topic so it stays at the top of the forum sub-section. Thanks for the detailed write-up and pics!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
mbl98431

Post by mbl98431 »

As Steve requested, I am going to post up some photos of the USB, Aux, and RCA/DVD install on a 2013 9C1.

I had a horrible time sourcing each component to build cables, and am still waiting on a few to come in. Luckily I did find everything and it is here or on the way. I also opted for the factory cable for the receptacle connection, because I am in IT and know that the Mini USB has no chance of staying in, partly by design, partly due to Murphy's Law.

That said, so far I am really glad I also opted to have Steve make some cables for me. I wanted to make them myself for experience...but it was less than pleasant with the size of the connections and such.

The USB side took several attempts, finally getting a solid build that tested 100%...only because I gave up and had my friend finish it. I just was not capable of getting the tiny connectors to crimp and my local electronics shop looked at me sideways when I said I needed crimpers as small as Steve mentioned. The connections were also soldered just to provide a solid hold. I'm also throwing a reference photo to show the size of the factory cable, minus about 2 inches. It is decently long, and unless you are going pretty far back with the receptacle it should be good.

The RCA/DVD cables I thought would be easy. Apparently the board, or at least mine, was very resistant to solder. Even with plenty of flux it just did not want to take. Finally got them on good and secure and one broke off the next day due to movement. I was going to give up but opted for another go and got them on in an ugly way, but they tested and that is good enough. I then secured them better with a good helping of hot glue to keep the wires from bending too much near the solder joints. That helped. I added a little extra length than some people so that they can be moved and re-secured during re-install of the radio.

So far so good. Waiting to get the cables from Steve soon and for other parts to come in for the Aux connection.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3vwqm7qgmjru ... DL9na?dl=0
philofab

Re: How To - Build your own USB cable for 2011- 2013 PPV's

Post by philofab »

Just a heads up. If you are like me and could not find the connector (or want to pay $130 for it from GM) for the back of the phono plug on the GM USB/Aux in receptical a USB motherboard connector like this works perfectly.

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

philofab wrote:Just a heads up. If you are like me and could not find the connector (or want to pay $130 for it from GM) for the back of the phono plug on the GM USB/Aux in receptical a USB motherboard connector like this works perfectly.
I posted the correct connector and terminals part numbers in this thread on making the AUX in cord:

How to: Build your own AUX in Cord.

Hoping to update that one for the 2014+ that I believe take the same JST terminals into the MyLink main radio connector - Just have to get my hands on a 2014. Might happen Labor Day.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

smwalker wrote:
philofab wrote:Just a heads up. If you are like me and could not find the connector (or want to pay $130 for it from GM) for the back of the phono plug on the GM USB/Aux in receptical a USB motherboard connector like this works perfectly.
I posted the correct connector and terminals part numbers in this thread on making the AUX in cord:

How to: Build your own AUX in Cord.

Hoping to update that one for the 2014+ that I believe take the same JST terminals into the MyLink main radio connector - Just have to get my hands on a 2014. Might happen Labor Day.
im still planning on it
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Came across this today. Seems the Peugeot 307 308 408 models use our same special USB connector in the radio. So this seller and a few more on ebay sell a straight USB cable. If you do not care about having a receptacle and just want a USB cord for the 11-13's this would work great for $10. This is basically a copy of the GM special tool EL-50334-10

They seem to have disappeared off Ebay?? Here is one on Amazon:Programming Cable,USB Cable Line For Para Peugeot USB Radio Cable Line Fit For Para Peugeot 307 407 308 408 508 Para Citroe C2 C3 C4 C4l C5
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
kaylin4u

Post by kaylin4u »

I purchased one of those cords today...said it will be in sometime November...let's see how they do.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Please give us an update once you install. Have you had your radio programmed yet though?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White