Opinions on good price on 9C1??

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
2014ltdltz

Opinions on good price on 9C1??

Post by 2014ltdltz »

I have the option to purchase either of the following and am hoping to get an idea of price(s) - the online references are pretty useless. Please be objective/constructive.

Option #1: a 2011 9C1, never in police/fleet use, single owner, mileage less than 40K.

Option #2: a 2017 9C1, never in police/fleet use, no owner yet, mileage less than 750.

Exteriors on both are unmarked, undrilled. Both are rust-free examples. No body damage, very straight examples.

Thanks in advance for your input.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Opinions on good price on 9C1??

Post by elc32955 »

It's somewhat difficult to give you respective numbers. For example... prices do vary somewhat based on the area of the country you're in, and based on whether the vehicle is being auctioned, wholesaled, or retail sold (by a dealer OR by a private party). People also do both undervalue AND overvalue their cars (not at the same time of course!), you see that a lot on Craigslist sales.

You really can't go wrong with either car. Both low miles, one has Holden iQ whilst the other has the stock GM radio. If you're looking to hold your investment value longer the 2017 will kick butt on the 2011 based on model year. Both non-fleet use. The 2017 was retailing for mid 30's, that was recently as of earlier this year for the last stragglers on the leftover market. Retail on the 2011 was around the same price point in 2010-2012 when a majority of them were sold new. You'll have a lot more wiggle room to deal on the 2011 car as it's been used AND it's 7 model years old. The 2017 is more easily cloneable to resemble a SS.

Go look at our cars for sale section and you'll be able to chart out some sale prices. You can also sniff around Autotrader, there's several options listed on our site for price sourcing. You can expect any used car dealer worth his salt to try to make at least 20% or more on the transaction over what (the dealer) paid for the car. Maybe more. Also, I believe NADA does give some pricing information in their guides. While for our purposes it may not be the most accurate, it's what many banks generally use as a lending reference. Ye who controls the funds controls the sale price to a major extent.

You can always toss out a screaming bloody lowball and see if there's any interest. Sometimes people do take the ball as they hate car transactions and just want it to be over. Especially if you help them through the paperwork.

Story on lowballs... I took in my 2004 Porsche Cayenne 4.5 Turbo several years ago to a local (CFL) CarMax dealer for appraisal, they had a BMW I was interested in and decided to just see what they'd give me. Medium miles, ran fine, had a few issues (sagging Alcantara headliner for one) but overall solid vehicle. CarMax offered me $1,500 for the Cayenne. After about 10 minutes of hilarious belly laughter at the offered ball deal I told them to have a nice day. I sold the vehicle around 3 days later as a private party sale for upwards of $15,000.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Depends on what you like, and what your plans are. I HATE the ‘octo-arm’ shifter, and like the floor shifter. Newer model, OTOH, can give you the latest parts, and perhaps a warranty. Either one has pluses and minuses. I’d go for the ‘11, though, but that’s just me.

I plan to keep mine a while, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
2014ltdltz

Post by 2014ltdltz »

Thanks for the input(s). I agree on the regionality of values, but in some respects, I'd think there might be a little less fluctuation on the Caprices since they are already a low production, niche market item.

At the risk of pushing the envelope a bit, can I press either/both of you for a ballpark price on each? Any numbers are understood to be with a wide margin of error. Is $8K reasonable on the 2011? Is $20K reasonable on the 2017? I am not pressed/desperate to buy either one. More looking for a decent car at a respectable price.
ls6-m22

Post by ls6-m22 »

I personally would go with the 2017 and 20K is more than reasonable. Where else are you going to buy a brand new full warranty full size rear wheel drive V8 car for that price?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Maybe my location lends itself to price gouged used cars... but a <40k mile non-fleet 2011 for 8k? I'd sell mine and buy that tomorrow.

2017 for 20k with less than 750? Do they have two so I can tell my wife to buy one? :lol:

Joking aside... I would personally do the 2017 if you are comfortable with either. I like how the 2014+ cars share architecture with the SS and the octopus arm shifter IMO ain't a big deal (Silversled has a nice writeup on plunking in an SS Dash and console... all in the name of cupholders). You're getting a LOT of car for 20k IMO.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, considering all factors here and that it's a pretty much brand new car, I would think that a pricepoint somewhere between $22K and $26K would be considered "reasonable", given the fact it's 1MY old now and in all probability you're buying it from a dealer. For this kind of car I'm assuming full factory warranty would apply, and it even may be GM "Certified" for that money if they really want to move it. My 2011 9C3 was a fleet demo when I purchased it off the lot, it'd seen corporate GM service and then was titled by GM in Florida (lucky for me!) after it went through the auction. I paid just over $26K for it off the lot with just under 10K miles. You can "try" a $20K offer on the 2017 and most definitely I'd start from there, but chances are you'll get more of a "No, come back when you're serious" response. With the right sales manager, maybe there's a spiff hidden somewhere for the salesman that moves it out. Oh, and it had BETTER have the L77 for an higher offer. Most definitely if it's a V6 car subtract, subtract, subtract!

Again, I'd try like hell to lowball the 2017 (that'd be my personal choice between the two). Arguments like "It's a discontinued, orphan lot lizard that no one's going to buy because it was never advertised to the public, if you're floor planning the car you've already lost your butt in interest & carry charges, the shifter and rims are ugly, it's too plain, it drinks gas like a dry alcoholic, where's the standard features on the radio, are you a car dealer or a car museum?" etc etc... all could chip away at the price if used properly. :)

Let us know how you make out!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

elc32955 wrote:are you a car dealer or a car museum?
This... this is great :lol:
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
2014ltdltz

Post by 2014ltdltz »

Both vehicles are V8s.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yep, that line tends to get 'em red in the face. Another one that drives salesmen crazy is when you use Sandler system techniques right back at them.

Q - "So, Mr. Prospect, what will it take to get you to buy this car today?"
A - "Excellent question. Why is that important to you right now?"
Q - "Well, we need to sell cars and we want to know you are a serious buyer".
A - "Interesting you should bring this up. Can you tell me why you would not think I'm serious in wanting to buy a car?"
Q - "Ummmm.... " (as smoke starts to slowly rise out of the salesperson's ears)
A - "So, tell me how you really feel about our possible business, since you've asked if I'm serious. What about me gives you doubt that I could drive off this lot tonight with any car in your inventory that I -may- choose to buy?"
Q - (salesperson getting red in the face with veins popping out)

And the mind fornication goes downhill from there.... :)