Test Fit of WM Statesman Series 1 Front Bumper

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
smwalker
Administration Staff

Test Fit of WM Statesman Series 1 Front Bumper

Post by smwalker »

So due to a swap deal that went south I have the opportunity to have a 09 Statesman bumper at my house. Thought I would try a test fit to see how easy it would be to switch out these bumpers. So popped off my factory PPV bumper and tried putting this silver specimen on.

First thing: Our plastic crash absorbers are super huge and in no way fit under the AU bumper. So that had to come off to even get back to the mounting points. I will post some pics of the differences in size of the two bumpers. Hard to tell but the US ones do stick out much more (probably why the AU ones look better, tighter and lighter look)

Image Image

So with the plastic absorber gone I was able to get it back to the fender mounting points. Secured the passenger side nice and easy. Holes lined up and it clicked into the bumper mounts under the headlights.

Then went to the other side and struggled to get the pin to line up with the fender Was about 1/4 inch off.

Gave it a few good tugs and determined something was off. Went to the front of the bumper and found the issue. The impact bar (that the plastic absorber attaches to) has a cut off corner on each side and those were out to far not allowing the cover to come back more. Tugging it gave me these dimples on each side of the front of the cover:

Image Image

Taking off the cover I saw what caused the dimples. It seems the US impact bar is to thick to use because even if I cut the corners even more (than what it looks like they cut it at the factory already) I would not have any room for an absorber material (maybe they use Styrofoam in AU?).

Image Image
These look cut already am I right? See that half circle at the front? That is probable for bolt access when the bar is longer before they cut it.

But getting on with seeing how everything else fit. The AU covers don't have the 4 plastic rivets on the top of the bumper and the covers go much further back towards the clip. So I imagine there is a different mounting rail on the AU cars that support the bumper that far back at the clip. But it does look like it fits in under the trans cooler on an 11 ok.

Image Image

Image Image

ANd although I could not get it mounted 100% I could sort off see the hood edge seems to be a bit more pointed where it meets the cover. Not sure if this difference is because the cover is a series 1 and the PPV is basically a series 2 car. But the hood did close OK.

Image Image

Other notes. The under belly pan has to come up much more to meet the AU bumper edge. I did not screw in the screws but the holes seemed to line up pretty good. That would seem to give you better driveway clearance with the AU bumper.

So If you are going to get a bumper from AU also get the impact bar and absorber parts as well because you can't use the US ones.

Also this Statesman bumper cover is for sale if anyone wants to work out a deal let me know.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: Test Fit of WM Statesman Series 1 Front Bumper

Post by s/c'd cav »

looks pretty cool on there
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Came across a pic of a Statesman with the front bumper off. Looks like the impact bar is shallower and shorter side to side and the impact material is only in the middle.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

Is there any way to possible get another deal? Or maybe the bumper in the picture.
Attachments
BA33E85B-7813-4010-9CD4-7DCC864C047A.png
BA33E85B-7813-4010-9CD4-7DCC864C047A.png (2.9 MiB) Viewed 13068 times
Robert

2011 Caprice 9C3 Alto Gray
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Karo at HoldenpartsUSA.com last I heard has a new WN bumper and the more aggressive side skirts that match. That would be the one you got pictured.

I still have the older one pictured for sale for $600 shipped. It is a cover only.

Still would need to get the crash bar and absorber straightened out. Not even Sure Karo has those but I know he can get them.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

Thanks for getting back to me. After going over the post id like to have a bumper that fit %100. Also im only an hour or so away from you now. I emailed karo from his website but havent heard back yet. I would be able to pick im in chatsworth. Thanks for your fast response.
Robert

2011 Caprice 9C3 Alto Gray
kevink

Post by kevink »

smwalker wrote:Came across a pic of a Statesman with the front bumper off. Looks like the impact bar is shallower and shorter side to side and the impact material is only in the middle.

The crash bars are aluminum in Australia, too. I tried to get one shipped from Ebay Australia with no luck. If anyone has a way to get one, let me know!
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
kevink

Post by kevink »

smwalker wrote: Image Image
These look cut already am I right? See that half circle at the front? That is probable for bolt access when the bar is longer before they cut it.
Mine looks the same exact way but does not appear "cut". It just looks like that is the original length it was made. All of the crash bars I have seen on Australian cars are totally different aluminum pieces. They may have just put the half circle there for better bolt access.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.