Can bus gauges

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ButtonPuncher

Can bus gauges

Post by ButtonPuncher »

I'm still a long ways off from getting a PPV but I came across these cool CAN bus gauges made by speedhut. Has anyone here tried something like this? No need to plumb/wire extra sensors. But on the flip side, you may be reading a faulty stock sensor. Also, I wonder how responsive that they are and if you can Y them in to your OBD connector so you can still have another scanner/datalogger connected at the same time?

https://www.speedhut.com/about-freedomgauges.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Non-metric 2-1/16" gauges:
https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/2-1-16- ... |f252|f215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few with full sweep with a warning indicator:
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Oil Temp
Trans Temp

Thanks,
Ben
Trolling your forum while saving up for a 9C3. Dreaming and bench racing for now.

2011 Mazda 6s GT - 3.7L - 6-speed ATX- Kona Blue
9C1fanatic

Re: Can bus gauges

Post by 9C1fanatic »

I helped a friend install some similar style gauges from Maryland speed in a 2013 Camaro 1LE. They work really well. They are worth it in my opinion just to get the trans temp read out for proper checking and filling of the transmission.

Back then they did not yet make a gauge pod (A pillar) for the SS but I bet they do now. It will fit Caprice. If they don't make them I would probably install them in my after market center console.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Garner,

Do they plug into the OBDII port, or is there a harness you use to tap into certain wires?

Speedhut makes great products. We have a tach of theirs in our C Prepared autocross Firebird. We've had it for about 5 years, or so, and it works great. We got one with the built-in shift lights. They work fine, except that the tach is out of the line of sight, and the car usually revs so fast that you are having to move the shifter at about 3000 RPM so it doesn't bang off the limiter.

The nice thing is, you can modify just about everything on their gauges, so you can get a pretty custom configuration in your car.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Do they plug into the OBDII port, or is there a harness you use to tap into certain wires?

The nice thing is, you can modify just about everything on their gauges, so you can get a pretty custom configuration in your car.
Speedhut ones plug in to the OBD port then the gauges just daisy chain to each other.

Yeah, I LOVE the customizability! AND it doesn't affect the price. That's super cool.

BP
Trolling your forum while saving up for a 9C3. Dreaming and bench racing for now.

9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

After looking at the link I realized I had installed different ones. The ones I did were digital readout and could show all kinds of things, many of which you used to have a scan tool to read.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

Those sound interesting. Who makes them? Are they expensive?

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

aero force gauges are what he used im guessing

https://www.aeroforcetech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

Those are really neat. It's essentially a purpose built scangauge. That price though...ouch. $250/400. Too rich for my blood.

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Don't forget, Bluetooth enabled old smartphones can be used in conjunction with wireless dongles that plug into the OBD-II port and give you all sorts of data displays - no drilling needed. We've had members in the past discuss using a video-in on the radio to port the data display from the phone, and just leave the old phone in the glove box. The one I use is OBD-Link on a Galaxy S5.

If you're on a budget or you don't want to put the can-bus gauges in, this might be a cost-efficient mod. Just saying....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

Good point. I've got a OBDLink MX bluetooth OBD scanner and the Palmer Performance ScanXL/DashCommand software on both my laptop and cell. It's really nice. I'd still rather have real gauges though. Trying to use a tablet all the time is a pain. It's always in the way, has glare at just the wrong time, locks up and needs to be restarted, etc, etc.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;