Door rattle

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
iefbr14

Door rattle

Post by iefbr14 »

I'm trying to figure out of the dealer damaged my right front door, or if it had always been like this and it just went unnoticed:

With the glass lowered, does shutting the door cause a rattling noise? I know it's the door glass rattling in the track in the down position- I just don't remember if the rattle was there before they opened the panel to work on one of the seals.

Would someone test their right front door and let me know?

The problem I had was there was some component inside the door that was depositing a sticky residue on the inside of the glass on both doors, the driver door being worse...perhaps because that door and glass is used more. I'd clean it off, and it would return.

The dealer fixed the driver door, but made the passenger door worse...now more residue is being deposited on the glass than before.

I am still under the 3yr/36k warranty until Aug 2018. I am getting little things like that taken care of.

The parts that were ordered cost about $100 each. I don't have the part numbers handy at the moment.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Door rattle

Post by Navy Lifer »

My 2011 doors rattle with the windows lowered, at least when I close the doors....don't spend enough time with the windows down for it to be a concern, considering that the air turbulence is pretty violent when they're down at speed. With or without AC, I can get plenty of air flow with the fan setting to be comfortable.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Its the chrome trim on the outside, i had both drivers and passenger door chrome moldings replaced.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

my old g8 did if the windows were down , it was down deeper in the door like its the regulator rattling with the glass
iefbr14

Post by iefbr14 »

The part numbers the dealer replaced are 92292204 and 92292205 (left and right). The work order part name is SEALING S. The GM parts catalog calls it a Weatherstrip belt.

Belt makes sense. it leaves track marks along the inside of the door glass...it's probably a moving belt tied to the window regulator. It used to leave one mark near the bottom edge. After the dealer worked on it, now it makes repeating marks vertically.

It's a sticky residue and has the pattern of a coarse weave rag.

I asked if I can get someone else to work on it this next time; however that may not be possible under 'the first guy has gotten paid, he has to make it right' system.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

iefbr14 wrote:The part numbers the dealer replaced are 92292204 and 92292205 (left and right). The work order part name is SEALING S. The GM parts catalog calls it a Weatherstrip belt.

Belt makes sense. it leaves track marks along the inside of the door glass...it's probably a moving belt tied to the window regulator. It used to leave one mark near the bottom edge. After the dealer worked on it, now it makes repeating marks vertically.

It's a sticky residue and has the pattern of a coarse weave rag.

I asked if I can get someone else to work on it this next time; however that may not be possible under 'the first guy has gotten paid, he has to make it right' system.
that looks to be the inner window seal along the door panel , and belt refers to the belt line of the car , which is what divides the top and bottom of the car , also its about the average mans belt line height also
StevenJay

Post by StevenJay »

I've read that the rattling when they are down is considered normal but there is a TSB about the PPV front windows falling out of the track when windows are down and door is closed forcefully. Although mine or yours is out of the track I figured the solution might fix the window rattle.
The TSB says to install 1 foam block per door/window run channel (at the bottom) that has adhesive on one side, sandwiches between the plastic run channel and the inner metal impact beam. The adhesive side is bonded to the outside of the window channel. I bought the blocks and will see if it helps.
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018