Discussion on wheel & tire issues
kevink

Re: New wheels - 17" rear 18" front

Post by kevink »

2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

kevink wrote:Are you thinking of wobble nuts?
https://www.hdwheelsusa.com/products/pcd-adjusting-nuts
either very close or the same thing , they do the same thing , says up to 2mm difference they will make up for
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

OP can you post some better pics especially from the side showing both wheels at the same time. Looks very interesting on the DR idea...
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

Navy Lifer wrote:No apology from me--negative Nancy characterization aside, I've done my homework....the patterns are not the same--120.0 is not 120.65, plain and simple.

Try putting a G8, Camaro or PPV wheel on a Corvette--it will not fit....what makes anyone think it's "OK" to put Corvette wheels on any of these cars simply because they can put the wheel over the studs?

Yes, there are a lot of people doing it and getting away with it, I will not deny--from an engineering standpoint it is wrong and if no one will speak out about it, I am compelled to do so.

You have not answered my question--are you using hub centering rings?
Negitive nancy you must really be a blast to hang out with at a party lol

I am glad you searched the google interwebs and are now a wheel engineering expert, but I dont care about your opinion. stick with your steel PPV wheels if you'd like, I dont care what you do.
But please dont bash myself or others on their wheel choices. These are perfectly safe to run and its the same pattern.

And Please stop sharing information on the internet you really know nothing about.

CTS-V guys are trapping 135 mph + on vette drag packs, with many 60' times in the 1.5 range.

Some call it 5x120, 5x120.65 or 5x4.75, depends on the manufacture. Its the same

I've done it on my previous G8, and many G8 owners do it too.

There's even BMW guys using vette drag wheels.

BTW, the reason G8, camaro, ppv wheels dont fit corvettes is because the corvettes have a larger hub bore. Youd have to machine the hub of the wheel.
It has nothing to do with the lug pattern.

seeing your a interweb wheel expect, i would of though youd know this.
Last edited by Maxspeed96ct on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

xcidmigs wrote:OP can you post some better pics especially from the side showing both wheels at the same time. Looks very interesting on the DR idea...

I don't have many pics since I haven't driven it much as I need to get an alignment

But heres a poor quality walmart parking lot picture.

ImageUntitled by david B, on Flickr
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I love the new guys coming on here lately who ask questions and already have all the answers (At least the ones they want to hear) And then can't stop themselves from telling guys who have been on this forum for years (NAVY is on tons of other and was on the old Impalass.com) that they know nothing and to not respond to their messages on this public forum.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Gentlemen,
Let's take a minute here. We try to keep this forum informative and appreciate everyone's contribution and encourage all to participate. There is a wealth of information and history amongst our group. Navy Lifer's contribution here and on past forums, past chassis/platforms, clubs, etc. (for the last 12-15 years at least) is well respected and documented. All of the research, information, contributions, retro-fit kits that he has developed for, and contributed to, many forums and members has a strong amount of engineering and time involved.
The wheel fitment across different chassis, suspensions, make and model has always intrigued all of us. I've even tried the Corvette Z06 rims on my car, but I chose not to, due to "almost" fitting. In my past life have also helped to develop aftermarket parts for sale. The process of selling aftermarket parts doesn't allow for "almost" when considering liabilities.
We all assume a certain amount of risk when we do anything to our cars. I have entertained other member's suggestions here, made my own decisions. The whole idea of a forum is to participate, contribute and respectively acknowledge each other's passion/investment.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
kevink

Post by kevink »

Maxspeed96ct wrote: Some call it 5x120, 5x120.65 or 5x4.75, depends on the manufacture. Its the same
I have heard this, too. The common argument is that they are all 4.750" (which is exactly the same as 120.65mm) and if a wheel or car is said to have a 120mm bolt pattern, the manufacturer is just stating the size as 120mm instead of 120.65mm. I don't think this has ever been proven. I never really cared or thought of a way to actually put this to the test... until now. I drilled two bolt patterns in a piece of 0.250" thick aluminum on my mill which does bolt circles. I made one pattern 5x4.750" and the other one 5x120mm. My studs measured 0.545", so bored all the holes to exactly 0.546" with a boring bar. The initial hole was made with a 0.500" end mill, so there was no chance of a twist drill walking. The bolt circles are perfect. Well... the 120mm bolt pattern fit over my studs perfectly and tightly. The 4.750" bolt pattern only fit over the portion of the studs that is not threaded and a smaller diameter than the threaded portion. It was clear that each stud was not centered in the 4.750" pattern's holes. You can sort of make this out in the photo. That being said, I still have yet to hear of a failure by using 5x4.750 wheels on a 120mm car. The difference is pretty small (about 0.013" per stud).
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

xcidmigs wrote:I love the new guys coming on here lately who ask questions and already have all the answers (At least the ones they want to hear) And then can't stop themselves from telling guys who have been on this forum for years (NAVY is on tons of other and was on the old Impalass.com) that they know nothing and to not respond to their messages on this public forum.

Wow why Sounds like you want to blow him ?

I wasn't asking any questions, just sharing my new wheels off.
Just cause I'm new to the caprice forum does not mean I was born yesterday. I've owned more LS vehicles then you probably ever will, and had a G8 before which is essentially the same vehicle.

I could care less anout the impala ss forum as I don't own one.

Kevin I'm beyond impressed with your intrest in trying to replicate the lugs. That's prettt awesome !
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

kevink wrote:
Maxspeed96ct wrote: Some call it 5x120, 5x120.65 or 5x4.75, depends on the manufacture. Its the same
I have heard this, too. The common argument is that they are all 4.750" (which is exactly the same as 120.65mm) and if a wheel or car is said to have a 120mm bolt pattern, the manufacturer is just stating the size as 120mm instead of 120.65mm. I don't think this has ever been proven. I never really cared or thought of a way to actually put this to the test... until now. I drilled two bolt patterns in a piece of 0.250" thick aluminum on my mill which does bolt circles. I made one pattern 5x4.750" and the other one 5x120mm. My studs measured 0.545", so bored all the holes to exactly 0.546" with a boring bar. The initial hole was made with a 0.500" end mill, so there was no chance of a twist drill walking. The bolt circles are perfect. Well... the 120mm bolt pattern fit over my studs perfectly and tightly. The 4.750" bolt pattern only fit over the portion of the studs that is not threaded and a smaller diameter than the threaded portion. It was clear that each stud was not centered in the 4.750" pattern's holes. You can sort of make this out in the photo. That being said, I still have yet to hear of a failure by using 5x4.750 wheels on a 120mm car. The difference is pretty small (about 0.013" per stud).
Nice demo - the pattern measures out to 4.75 vs 4.72, admittedly not very much, but clearly different enough to indicate that a wheel for one pattern does not center up as intended on the other pattern.

My issue is the act of torquing the wheel nuts (spec to 140 lb/ft) will result in very heavy contact on the most-inboard point (radially) on a Corvette wheel, effectively "pinching" the wheel and heavily loading a very small area, and leave the rest of the seat taper less loaded. It will also place a bending load on the wheel studs as the wheel nuts are drawn to full torque.

Try putting some Prussian Blue or Dykem on the tapered wheel seats of a Corvette wheel on 120mm pattern and just snug up the lug nuts, then check the contact on the seats. Then do the same with the correct 120mm wheel.
Maxspeed96ct wrote:Negitive nancy you must really be a blast to hang out with at a party lol

I am glad you searched the google interwebs and are now a wheel engineering expert, but I dont care about your opinion. stick with your steel PPV wheels if you'd like, I dont care what you do.

But please dont bash myself or others on their wheel choices. These are perfectly safe to run and its the same pattern.

And Please stop sharing information on the internet you really know nothing about.

CTS-V guys are trapping 135 mph + on vette drag packs, with many 60' times in the 1.5 range.

Some call it 5x120, 5x120.65 or 5x4.75, depends on the manufacture. Its the same

I've done it on my previous G8, and many G8 owners do it too.

There's even BMW guys using vette drag wheels.

BTW, the reason G8, camaro, ppv wheels dont fit corvettes is because the corvettes have a larger hub bore. Youd have to machine the hub of the wheel.
It has nothing to do with the lug pattern.

seeing your a interweb wheel expect, i would of though youd know this.
Max...whoever you are, I don't hide my name or location on any board I participate in, unlike yourself.

You started the name-calling with your Negative Nancy comment (the "lol" doesn't excuse it)--this Forum will not put up with insulting, derogatory or offensive comments. You are more than welcome to use that language on the Fakebook PPV "forum", but it's unacceptable and will not be tolerated here--this is NOT a "free speech" zone. Consider yourself warned.

It is fully understood by me and the users of this Forum that many others are using 4.75 wheels on the Zeta chassis, and without reported issues. That still does not make it right.

We're still wondering if your installation is using hub-centric rings. And if I wasn't aware of the hub center bore/register difference, why would I even ask about centering rings?

I don't "bash" anyone--I simply point out the facts when it is appropriate to do so. Some people can't handle the truth, I guess.