AC Condenser Fan Relay location

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
ABrandenburg

AC Condenser Fan Relay location

Post by ABrandenburg »

Hey guys,

My AC has not worked properly since I bought the car. I had Pepboys :roll: do an AC check while they were doing a quickie oil change for me and they said I needed a new relay along with a new condenser and high pressure hose. I know I do need something either on the hose or condenser side because I've lost all of the freon, I just haven't had a chance to get under the car and pull of the shield to see whats leaking. I would like to get the fan running properly before I change those parts and do a re-charge though. Thanks for the help.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: AC Condenser Fan Relay location

Post by smwalker »

There are 3 relays that control the fans. They are outside of the under-hood fuse box. Think I got some pictures of them during other mods:

The two blue small circles are circling 2 of the cooling fan mounts:

Then this one is over by the fender, I have it labeled in blue tape:

Now this is on a 2011. 14 plus should be the same but may be in different areas under the hood.

The relays are made by Hella and you can get them for about $9.00 a piece, read the part number on the top of them to reorder.

Not to bad mouth Pep boys but they are not know for their high quality diagnosis. Double check their work. We have an extended warranty on our cooling fans that are know to take a dive. I would suspect those before the relays.

Good luck!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

Thanks for the info Steve, yeah I don't trust their prognosis at all that's what the rolie eyes was for :)
How long is the extended warranty for? My car is currently at 103,000.

My plan was to power the fan directly and see if it started running or not. If it turns on then the problem is elsewhere and I get the joy of tracking it down.

I'm still working on getting the USB port and once I do I'm going to do a thread on the radio and USB plug install.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I think it's over for the 2011's, was not sure what year you had. Think it was 6 year 100K mile.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

To bring this back from the dead, the Hella part number for this is 007794301. GM dealers will try to convince you no such item exists on the car and you don’t know what you’re talking about, NAPA will try to sell you their cheaper version which does not have the correct pole orientation and won’t function the fans as needed when excited as I learned the hard way today. Ended up finding a cheap $9 relay at autozone that worked until I can get the correct Hella from amazon. Nobody else that I checked had them in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TEO9 ... 0DER&psc=1
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea I recently had to get some more as well and had a hard time finding them. I settled on this part number " hella 00779430 "
It seems to be the same thing. If you understand that hella part number scheme any better can you ID any differences?

12 volts 40 amps seems to be about the same as the other part number and it fit the connector.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

As far as I can tell they’re exactly the same, both 12V 40Amp and they have the same mounting setup and same pole orientation at rest and when activated. Not sure why the variations in P/N