Front Struts

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
bluethunder

Front Struts

Post by bluethunder »

Has anyone had front strut failures in lower mileage cars? I have a knock in the front end on smaller bumps and am pretty sure its the strut. Have 88K miles
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Front Struts

Post by smwalker »

What year you have? There was a TSB on strut failure on the 11's - came up with an updated washer to help I believe.

TSB Here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-nHwQ ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And 88K is not low mileage for struts. They recommend replacement at 50K. No one ever does but they recommend.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

While it can be the strut, a popping or banging noise, especially at slow speeds can also be traced to the upper strut mounts:

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/chevrolet/ ... tion=right

The rubber is pretty soft, and tends to compress with age, which can cause a little space between them and the body, which can lead to a noise when going over even the smallest of irregularity in the road.

Even if it's not these, make sure you have them ready when you replace the struts, because the bearing will come out in pieces, spraying bearing needles all over the place, when you remove the spring compressor.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

strut mounts on these cars are weak at best !! they go bad on the boat ride over , and have since 03 when they brought the 04 gto's over
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

Thanks for the info, yeah I guess 88 K is a fair amount plus my car was in service so pretty sure they were beat on. Wondering if its worth just changing the rubber mount first, They are like $25.00 or so. Prob just do the whole thing and get on with life!!
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

get whiteline or superpro mounts , they are made from urethane and will hold up alot longer
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

x2 on the poly mounts, they are easy enough to change but who wants to do all that again, plus the fact that they don't degrade or move around was enough reason to change mine on my 2011, had less than 20k on them and the rubber ones looked brown and dry.
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

Is the Superpro part # SPK1590AK ? My car is a 2012
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yes

karo @ holden parts usa gets whiteline
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

whiteline bushings/poly mounts are all over ebay etc, just search for Pontiac g8 its the same part #